1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Ashdown Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Apr 25, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    AL-AD1000

Has anyone heard anything about this? Looks pretty interesting, no real specs yet.

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've emailed Ashdown a few times about this amp and it won't be available in the U.S. until September or later.
    It looks like a great amp!

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    pretty sweet! good idea to put a usb out on it, wonder why more don't do this? not too sure on the looks though, if i saw it in passing i would think it was a behringer :meh:

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ***?!?!?!

What happned to that Sweet Ashdown Labs pre-amp they had? Did those just never go into production. I really, really wanted one of those.

Drat!!:confused:

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Looks a heckuva lot like a gold version of the Mark King signature model. I'd have to guess that thing's pretty sweet! The MK is only 575W vs this one's 1000W. Nice!

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The AL-AD600 was a more production oriented version of the Mark King head, it was the same thing, only gold. This, the AL-AD1000, I guess is the replacement for the AL-AD600. You can see the 600 here

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

That's the one I was talking about, save it was a pre amp. And they had a power amp also. Guess they just stopped making them. Now I can't get one.:crying:

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

This kind of digital A/D section glommed on to a bass head scares me. For the guys who already have a recording set-up this is an unnecessary complication to have a USB out as some software packages glitch up when using more than one interface on one PC.

The SPDIF digital out can probably be used with a lot of existing A/D interfaces out there but you're at the mercy of whatever converters they happen to spec in the box which they don't say because the "Specfications" link on the Ashdown site didn't work for me.

I have basically the same setup with my Focusrite TrakMaster channel strip with compression / EQ and A/D card. The whole thing came to $375 used. It will also do a decent job as a utility channel recording voice / guitar / other instruments via the mic preamp or Hi-Z input.

The only bass-specific pre's that I've used for recording and been less than excited about the results were the Peavey Max preamp and the SansAmp BDDI. Both units I found excellent for live use, but not the best for recording.

Personally, if I needed a good recording preamp for bass, I'd look at one that is made for a general recording purpose and plug myself in via my Radial Engineering Pro D2 DI. I can always get my head/amp/cab sound by putting another channel on the cab and miking that. I can then mix the two for the utmost in tone tweakability. I have obtained excellent results recording from the Focusrite, an ART Pro MPA and VLA, and also the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 balanced tube mic preamp (less than $200). These general purpose mic pre's gave me a much better sounding track than I ever got using a bass-specific preamp.

I'm kind of leary of these all-in-one wonders as they're geared towards novices in one respect or another. Also, not every company writes good drivers and keeps them up to date. Even some well-established software / audio companies don't do a good job of this.

All of a sudden upstart Ashdown is a digital amp company with USB computer connections. Back Away! Run!

If it's a good bass amp, buy it. I wouldn't personally pay for the extra connectivity. These things are best kept separate for ease of repair and upgradeability plus ongoing access to stable drivers.