New Ashdown MAGs, worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by South Town, Mar 13, 2004.

1. OK, I'm in the tough spot. I have already ordered the Sansamp for big venues and need to know this. I know that I will need to buy my vintage tube head eventually, but that costs money (who knew?) :crying: I was wondering if these new Ashdown MAG combos were worth anything. 300 watt 4 by 10 costs about $600 and I thought "what a good deal." As said, this most likely won't be my final choice in amps, but I need a good inbetween amp. Does anyone have anything to say about these?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, this is offtopic, but what is a southern style P-bass? I feel bad now that I only have a regular P-bass :(
  3. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I just ordered the Mag C210T from American Musical Supply, seemed like a great deal. $449, free shipping, no tax and they will bill my credit card in 3 monthly installments. The specs look great though I've never played an Ashdown. Huge Entwistle fan tho... I understand they are somewhat Ampeg-ish, though in fact this amp is replacing a B100-r (for sale) which is a great amp but isn't the most versatile. I like the highish wattage (307) and extension speaker out. The ampeg BA-210 which I compared it to is an anemic 220 watts (soundslike 150)and no speaker output I'm not sure if you can defeat the tweeter on the Mags, anyone? The 410 looks ideal as a stand alone and I'm sure would rule with a 15 under it. I measured my trunk and don't think the 410 will fit:( I'm sure the 210 combo will need a 15" under it to fully utilize the sub-harmonic generator. I do plan on putting the 210's thru hell rather than my back. It's actually a couple pounds lighter than the Ampeg b100-r it's replacing. Does anybody know if these are front or rear ported?
  4. Southern-style- basically means that I have added some overwound pickups, put in a BadAss bridge, and it has more duct tape on and in it than any instrument should have.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Funny. I also just sold my B-100R, and I am expecting for the delivery of an Ashdown MAG-400R w/matching 210 cab.

I'll post a review when I'm plugged into it... ;)
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the definition.
  7. Anytime. It always helps when you can understand "local" definitions. :D
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    front ported. slot port aslong the bottom of the cab.

cut the wires to the tweeter - thats the best way to defeat it.

and youll be suprised how well the blue lines cope with the low notes, you may not need that 15 for subwave, but you WILL need it for volume.
  9. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know about an Ampeg comparison, but Ashdown stuff is pretty much an evolution of Trace Elliot gear. Not quite the same, but it gives an idea.
  10. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I thought "southern-style" was breaded and deep fried. By the way, I found out my Mag 210t has been backordered til May 1st. Damn! I'm glad to hear they are front ported though. I wonder what it would take to put a tweeter level control on the combo rather than snippin' the wires. On my Avatar 2x10 I like to run the tweeter level at about 20%. Just a hint of sizzle with my deep-fried Steve Harris P.
  11. "only in the south will you find:
    -deep fried sushi
    -mud-tires and Mercedes
    -Porsches with gunracks
    -ashtrays with tobacco juice..."

-Gotta love southern comedians