Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new Ashdown rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bogart, Jul 26, 2004.

1. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I just picked up an Ashdown mag head and two 4x10 ashdown cabs. Let me tell you guys how stoked I am. I've been playing for 14 years and have never heard MY sound. With this Ashdown the world has come to order. It does this killer low/low-mid growl, that when overdriven, sends chills up my spine. I would like to step up to an ABM head, but that dat can wait. This MAG gear is incredible, and you cant beat the price. $900 for an 8x10 with 300 watts

2. Awesome man! I need to have the Ashdown experience. I need to find someone that carries them. I had the Eden experience and loved it. Anyways, we need pics!

3. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    pics are on the way. AMS carries the ashdown line, by the way.

www.americanmusical.com

Sounds great with those jazz basses too.

4. No, I mean in person. My friend has a Crate Blue Voodo 120W Tube guitar head and 412 cab to go with his GISON SG (he's an amazing guitar player, just turned 15), so I dont think 300 watts would be enough for me. I wish they would come out with a MAG 600 head or something. Then, if I tried and liked it, I would consider it. At first, when I saw Ashdown cabs, I hated the logo and the blue speakers, but now I think it looks real classy and different. I'm still not crazy about the look of the heads. Man, those Ashdown guitar heads look insane! Do you mean with the Active J's?

On a side note, I checked your profile and saw that you have the Digitech Bass Driver, how do you like it?

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I love Ashdown amps. I have the RPM-1 preamp running into a QSC PLX 1602 (1600W) power amp into two Aguilar GS112 cabinets and the tone is really beefy yet articulate

6. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

300 watts is plenty. My guitarists play through a Marshall jcm 800 half stack and a vox valvetronix w/ 6 10's. Even with 4x10s i was cutting through. Now that I have 8 10's, I can blow them away. I usually run the volume at about half. The digitech bass driver is awesome. I can get almost any tone I want. In fact I just bought another :D I don't know about the active j. I play a passive MIA Jazz.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    cngrats man. anothe ashdown convert. good score man they make incredible sounding equitment. i love it and ill never turn back.

8. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    talking about the MAG 300 and 410 cab, i still havent had the "experience", i want to though. I played the ashdown setup for about 2 hours yesterday in a shop but couldnt find the sound I wanted especially when my bass is well old (aria pro 2-passive) and has too much rattle, I just thought it wasnt that hot compared to the hartke HA3500 I also tried there. The hartke virtually lost all the unwanted rattle from my sound. I admit the ashdown stuff did sound nice for slap stuff but in terms of finger picking style, I just couldnt find the tone I wanted. :(

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I returned my MAG 300 (Made in China). I honestly thought it sounded lifeless and was built like crap. My Ampeg B2R was night and day better and had more power.

Lync

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    man thats sad. oh well, different strokes different folks. what did you dislike about it. be more specific if you can.