New Ashdown Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Well, finally put the last piece of the puzzle in! My new Ashdown rig is complete - just sold off my Trace Elliot AH500 head and picked up my Ashdown ABM 500 EVO head to go with the Ashdown Mini 48 and Mini 15 cabs I picked up in June.

Find below a pic of the rig - OK, I'll try and get a better one when I've got some time.......

Marvellous sounds, dead easy to use, and the Grind control and Sub-Harmoniser are wonderful at fattening/warming up the sound nicely! I think my GAS is over.......for now.......
  2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    that's a very nice looking setup. i'm currently thinking of switching from an svt cl to an abm 500(rc) or maybe a vintage ampeg. they seem to make great stuff.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

i have never tried the mini cabinets but i have tried and loved the ABM 500 GREAT TONE!!!

way to go!!
  4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Hi Johnny,

Congratulations on the rig - looks real sweet...

I'm looking at going for a mini 4x8 to go with my MAG head , but am a bit concerned as a couple of the comments on this forum have said that it can be a bit harsh, if it's used without the 15. I can't find anywhere to audition the cabs so am trying to figure out what to do.

There's also no way that I can buy both at the same time so will have to go for one or the other.

What do you think of each cab on it's own?

5. Andy,

I didn't find it harsh at all! When I first got my cabinets, all I had speaker cable wise was jack to jack or XLR - these worked with the Trace cabs that I sold. However, Ashdown cabs have jack to jack or neutrik connectors.

So when I first got them, I could only use them one at a time with my Trace head. Both cabinets were fine. The Mini 48 to me was very much like my Trace 4 x 10 with tweeter. Maybe a little more punchy even. The 1 x 15 was also very good - much like my Trace 1 x 15, maybe even a little punchier.

When I finally got to try them together with the Trace I was very impressed. I really sold the Trace and bought the Ashdown to have a nice matching rig - I didn't really need (or want) to sell the Trace, but a buyer came forward and offered me enough to make it worth my while ,and I bought the Ashdown ABM500 - which I'm now very happpy I did!

It goes great with the cabs, and handles the sub-harmoniser nicely (and the grind control adds nice warmth up to mild distortion!)

I managed to get a deal where I got both cabs for £690 all in - brand new! I'd managed to sell my Trace cabs for £750 all in! So it actually cost me less to go for the cabs. The head cost me £750, but I sold my Trace for £670. So all in it cost me £20 plus the ebay costs to change rigs ( about £80 all in!)
  6. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks (that was quick !)

Looks like the 4x8 has it, oh and as it's my birthday in 4 days I seem to have enough justification.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002 the ashdown stuff better than the trace???? i know that you were a big trace along with me..(i get my trace head today!!!)

but hmm ashdown cabs to go with this head...sounds good..i might try the 4x8 also...

8. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    If your willing to travel 52miles north, the music shop here has ashdown heads combos and the 4*8 combo you're talking about. Aswell as a few mesa heads and cabs.....sweeeeet :)
  9. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    If your willing to travel 52miles north, the music shop here has ashdown heads combos and the 4*8 combo you're talking about. Aswell as a few mesa heads and cabs.....sweeeeet

I'm on my way over....what's the name of the shop ?:)
  10. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Check your PM inbox, redjeep.

....sorry, that should be redjeep!

:) ;)

11. So, was it your good self that picked up that Min 48 from ebay - or is someone using your moniker?
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats Johnny !

With that killer rig in your house, the beautiful Scottish landscapes are going to be completely transformed... :D

Tonewise, how do the mini 48 and mini 15 compare to 210 and classical 115 ?
  13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I also own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. Mine is the Rackmount Chrome head which is gorgeous. I agree the grind control and sub harmonizer are incredibly musical and useful. I always get compliments on my tone. I'm using a Bergantino HT322 cabinet; (1X12 and 2X10's with horn) Simply gorlious nad thunderous! It can be very articulate, clean and almost modern sounding but also possesses a fat, round, deep warm old school sound. It's a great amp. I've never played with the Master volume above Midway either. This rig is LOUD!

14. Thanks Jean!

I'm jsut looking forward to using it in anger!!!

Not sure about how it compares to a 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 though. My previous rig was a 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 ,and to be honest there isn't much in it! My previous cabs were Trace Elliot ones, and to be honest the Ashdown ones work out very similar, maybe a little punchier!

I think that the 1 x 15s on their own were pretty much comparable in sounds, the 4 x 8 I feel is a little punchier than the 4 x 10!

Anyway, I really liked the sound, so got rid of the Trace Rig (which had actually been my dream rig for a good long time....)and went completely Ashdown!

15. Jonny

Congratulations on your new rig. It looks sweet!

I have tried Wulf's rig which has the same cabs but a different Ashdown head [I think]. It was really impressive and LOUD.

You must give us a gig review when you use it in anger.

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Johnny, I indeed remember you were a serious TE fan. Switching to Ashdown sounds to me like being a "natural migration". But now you have an "SVT-ish" warmth as a bonus... ;)

17. Thanks! Yeah, I seem to remember Wulf uses a MAG head. I wouldn't imagine they are a million miles apart!

And yes, there will be a full report when I finally get to gig with it!:)
  18. Hi Jean! Yes, to me it seems almost like an evolution if you know what I mean. And indeed there is a move towards the warmer Ampeg sound that so many people rave about (and at a fraction of the cost of an Ampeg for me....)

The other advantage is that my old rig was 106kgs (about 233lbs) whereas my new rig weighs in at 64kgs ( 145 lbs), and so my back doesn't suffer as much when I have to move it!:)
  19. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's the one - an Ashdown MAG 250 head to be precise. I like it - especially in combination with my Sans Amp Bass Driver DI that adds some of the 'warmth' that the MAG head probably lacks compared to the ABM500 EVO.

I don't know what the price difference is between the MAG head and an equivalently powered ABM model, but the flexibility of having a significant part of the tone shaping in a small DI box rather than locked in the full head is worth it for me, even if I've paid more for components than I would have done for an integrated solution.

Have you got a gig lined up to test it?