Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stachio, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I recently had one of the dreaded "Which preamp is best for me" threads. I ended going for neither of the options listed in the poll. I settled on an Ashdown RPM-1 EVO II pre. It's actually been about a month since I've had it, but I wanted to wait a while before posting.
    The RPM is not as warm as its amp counterparts. It's still very deep and has this nice grunt to it. The high end is particularly nice. I like my mids and when EQ'ed right, it sounds exactly like I want it.
    The valve drive was a selling point but I actually haven't been terribly impressed by it. It sounds like it should, I suppose, but I was expecting something more drastic. Still a useful feature though.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Sub Bass. It's a cool feature when playing in the mid to highs (I don't have a sub...just 10s so I haven't messed around in the low register with it).
    Also useful is the line in for a sampler in the back.
    I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the looks of the trademark Ashdown VU meter. My opinion on it changes every day.

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i would really like to try the ashdown labs new preamp they have. its got that 11 band eq. ill bet that thing kills.

3. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    It looks interesting. No Sub Bass or Valve, but it has a "harmonic emphasis" knob. Not sure what that would be...

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    who knows, but im sure its cool. i dont care to much for the sub, i mean i could use here or there, btu nto often. but teh valve...yea i can use that.

i think ashdown should make an amp that has channel. like a clean and then a valve channel and you can switch them like with a foot switch. thatd be relaly bad ass.

5. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    The valve drive is footswitchable on the RPM and ABM. Just set the amount of drive and either press in the button to activate it or use the footswitch. It actually has a few foot switchable options.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    good to know.

7. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    It's prob the same circuit they used on the last Trace Elliots.
    They describe it as the sound of new strings with added attack.

I had one on my last Trace, I really miss it :crying:
    I'd like one of them new Ashdowns though

Peter

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    my ashdown, after looking at the back, doesnt have the foot switchable valve control. its pre evo 2

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I love my Ashdown RPM-1 EVOII. It does have the footswitchable valve and Sub-Octave and I have a double switch for it, though I don't typically use the footswitch.

I run mine into a QSC PLX 1602 bridged into two Aguilar GS112s and the tone in monsterous. I typically run with the EQ in the flat setting more than the "Trace" setting, but both have their purpose. Plus the RPM-1 + QSC PLX is a lot lighter than the ABM heads, plus I get more power.

I love the looks of the VU meter.

Ashdown definately colors your sound, but IMHO it does it in a good way. My tone seems Beefy yet articulate (not muddy)

-KB

10. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's what I noticed. A clean sound but with some low end grit on command.
    Love your avatar. "Yes...Snake...I like the sound of that"

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    no kidding on the weight issue. my 900 is a ton and then some.