1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ashtray Rule!!! (kinda, maybe, would be cool.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by R Briere, Nov 5, 2013.

1. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

And it was said that He who REMOVES the "Ashtray" From any Bass That Was Meant to Have One Shall be Forever Banished from this Earth and Shall go Straight to Hell....or Can Choose to Sit in the Front Row of a Kids Accordion Band Concert for All Eternity. Personally, I'd go for option #1. :)

Small Print. Should You OWN a Bass Which Came Without Covers but Should Have Them (as originally designed).....You have One Week to Comply or the Accordion Band will Arrive at Your House on Thanksgiving and Play ALL Day as you Try to Eat!. Call Now as Operators are Standing by! :)

Attached Files:

2. What, no link to your ashtray store website? :)

3. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Well I changed the bridge on my P bass and the original bridge ashtray won't fit anymore but I can put the cover back over the pup. Does this mean I'll be sentenced to purgatory???

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    No no. That's the purpose of the compartment in the case. Fender discussed putting a label "Ashtray Storage" on there; but left it off due to cost considerations. They figured most bass players would be smart enough to figure it out.

Of course, there are always exceptions. ;):bag:

5. R Briere

I'm not trying to Sell you Anything and I have none for Sale....but it IS the Right thing to Do. :)

I think at one Time "Purgatory" was called "Limbo"......but Chubby Checker Came along and Screwed EVERYTHING up in That Department. :) Chances are somewhat Slim that a New Dance Craze called "Do the Purgatory...la,la,laaaaa" is going to Happen...... :)

6. R Briere

Leo put the "Compartment" in the case to carry "P&J" Sandwiches...in a plastic bag.....with a pair of Fresh Twinkies for desert.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I always thought the P covers looked worlds better than the J ones. But mine never came with them and can't fit 'em over the BAII bridges anyway. If this is the only infraction in my life that qualifies me for the fiery pits I'd be mightily surprised.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I wondered what those twinkies were doing in my '62 case! They were still fresh too. Yum.
    However, the compartment is cleverly designed to be large enough for twinkies AND ashtrays!

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Do you put fender skirts on your car too?

10. R Briere

Some of you are Tough; You're Rebels in Fact........Let the Punishment Commence!!!! :)

11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I took mine off along with the pickup cover and thumb rest the day I bought mine (in 1968) and put them in a bag and that is where they are staying.
    :bag:

Unless I have to do the accordion thing, they would be back on in a flash.
    :D

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Don't tell me what to do with my basses.

13. R Briere

You Needn't Worry About that for Even 10 Seconds Sir.....:)

14. I like the way they look but unless you like to play above the neck pickup they don't leave much room for fingering the strings.

Attached Files:

15. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I agree they look cool , but fat sausage fingers and the desire for me to pluck in more than 2 positions mean they stay in the compartment next to the twinkies.

16. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Those things are a big fat pain in the A##, playing with ashtrays removed is like running through a meadow of long cool grass in bare feet after you`ve been walking across the Sahara desert in bad fitting work boots .
    :bag:

17. R Briere

You have Good Taste in Heroes. :)

Attached Files:

18. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I Love the look on...I swear my bass sounds better with it on.

19. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    There's not enough room in that front row! It probably be easier if you sat the ones who use them there.

20. VIP, Nice!