Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New at BASS ESP LTD problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lusid, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Lusid

Lusid

Jan 14, 2006
    i dont have a amplipher right now and jsut got a bass, im a standard 6string guitar player and can play it off a amp just fine.

but every early fret on every string on the ESP LTD B-50 modle bass i got buzz's and makes no real tone, i even tuned the lowest string to far and snapped it trying to figure it out so i came here to ask is this normal, do i just need a amp? did it break in delivery somhow?

thanx

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    what's an early fret?

you need to either bring your bass to a tech and get it set-up or do it yourself. READ THIS: i would suggest bringing it into a tech since you're new to this and risk screwing up your neck if you do it yourself. IF you decide to do it yourself, you need to read A LOT on the subject and make sure you know what you're doing. be careful, take your time.

3. Lusid

Lusid

Jan 14, 2006
    early fret meaning top frets closest to the tuners, i can return it etc still i just got it today and get a replacment, i just need to know if the 1st-7th fret should make a tune when playing without a amp, because it jsut buzz's nonsence, im not sure if this is cause a bass should always have a amp or ... ya understand? hehe

if i get the "ok its prolly busted" i can e-mail american musical, tho the last guitar they sent was in perfect condition epiphone gibson, but this bass seems ... im not a bass player(yet) so, i am despritley seeking answers.

when you hold down the lowest string playing the first fret, is it normal o be buzzy nonsence? i mean even my electric tuner dosent seem to read open string notes...

help!

thx :)

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yes, i knew what you meant by early frets.

i just told you, you need to get it set up first. i doubt it's your amp because you would have to be pretty newb to push a guitar amp that hard. bass amps are made with the name "bass amps" for a reason. if you ever even play a practice session with a band with a bass and guitar amp i bet you're gonna break your guitar amp.

as for the tuner, maybe your tuner is broken. if you have a guitar tuner, it should probably have a bass mode, because if it's a guitar tuner the guitar setting on it won't pick up the low notes.

get the instrument set up. i'm a noob too, so i dunno how to do it. read the how-to's and faqs. and use the search function.

5. Lusid

Lusid

Jan 14, 2006
    what do you mean by get it set up? never heard of that from a insturment.

na im not useing a amp at all , i havent had one in a few weeks would never use a standard guitar amp with a bass, i understand all of that etc.

6. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well, sound slike the neck need sto be adjusted, and maybe the strings raised. Tech it to a local guitar shop and ask for a setup, and make sure you tuned it, the tuning should be (from thick -> thinnest)

EADG

7. Lusid

Lusid

Jan 14, 2006
    got it tuned there, still has a buzz on the first 5 frets, what you said makes sence to me tho, cause the strings are the problem they are like way to close to the frets, how much is it common to pay for a "setup" tho, im kinda broke from rent and bills right now.

thx for the info

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    IME, no more than $20 for a neck adjustment and the bridge saddles raised.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    word. you need to get your neck adjusted and saddles raised/lowered accordingly. and make sure it feels good to you after the setup is done.

if you are as broke as me ($0) then you can try it yourself. BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND READ STUFF THAT TELLS YOU HOW AND WHAT NOT TO DO.

10. dbesq00

dbesq00

May 31, 2005
    New York
    I have an ESP LTD B-50. I too have experienced the fret buzz. I have taken my bass to a technician. The bass is being set up. I am also replacing my pick ups with DiMarzio pickups. I have replaced my strings with good quality round wound strings. Finally, I am going to purchase some Planet Waves cables. I hope that the buzzing noise will stop. I have a 20 watt Hartke bass amp for practicing. If all of this doesn't solve the problem, I may purchase a peavey tiger eye. Those bass guitars are beautiful and have great reviews. If so, I will probably donate my ESP to the Boy's and Girl's club. I will let you know the outcome. I hope to get my bass back this week. I miss my baby! :crying: