Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new at the bass

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by IbanezGSound4, Nov 23, 2002.

1. is it worth getting lessons if you just want to go at your own speed and learn your favorite songs?

also, by theory, you mean analyzation of songs, chords, etc....., wat is the difference between knowing chords and just following sheet music?

2. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I never took lesons but instead just picked up a instructional book that came with a CD and followed along with that. The book taught me the basics and I eventually began to learn rythm and others aspects while learning some of my favorite songs. This method did allow to go at my own speed and keeps bass playing fun and not something that you have to force yourself to do.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    IbanezGSound4 ,

With all due respects to dearle, I would have to disagree totally. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Currently you are 15 and want to just play a few of your favorite songs. Where will you be in 6 months, a year or 5 years from now. You might have very different ambitions and goals for your bass playing. It is important to have a good foundation. You just really cannot get a good foundation, especially in technique via a book and CD.

2. Playing with wrong technique can cause injury. Specifically, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - not nice!

3. Anything worth doing is worth doing well! Why aspire to mediocrity.

4. Through your question and its reference to theory, you've already shown an interest that surpasses a casual interest in playing a few favorite tunes.

5. A good instructor will go at your pace. They will give you the needed feedback to make your learning more efficient and more effective.

Absolutely!

Reading sheet music is the ability to play what another musician has written. Knowing chords is the ability to create original basslines from a set of chords or a chord progression.

dearle,

While I am glad that you learned about rhythm, you obviously didn't learn how to spell it. :p

Mike

4. Stone Sour

Stone Sour

Dec 18, 2002
    It all depends on the teacher, I had a great teacher that let me go at my own pace to learn the basics and wasn't really picky with stuff and like a typical teacher. It usually just depends on how you learn stuff. :)

5. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    If I was paying a teacher, I would want him or her to be very picky indeed. If not, what's the point? Tony Levin, in his book "Beyond The Bass Clef", has some good things to say about being picky when practicing (picky is good to him, too).

I think a teacher should be able to analyze the student and direct him with material, advice, and criticism which is geared towards making him the world's greatest bass player. To do this, the teacher must be a very accomplished player; he must have scaled high on the mountain which he is trying to direct others to climb. This kind of teacher is rare, but it is the only kind worth going to.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Kim,
    I would add one more thing. A teacher must inspire their students. No matter what materials I provide a student, no matter what sage advice I might have or criticism I can levy, without inspiration my students will not attain their potential. It is the inspiration that allows a student to see hope and a future when they are beginners. It is the inspiration that gets them through the "plateau periods" where one feels that they are stagnating. It is inspiration that makes a student strive to be great and not just adequate. It is inspiration that makes a student practice that extra 15 minutes a day. It is the inspiration that feeds the energy which my realtionship with my students is based on.

Mike

7. I've just bought a new bass and i've been trying out some of my favourite songs. I was doing lessons at school, but am changing schools now and dont currently have a teacher. When trying to play "schism" by tool, i've found you need to "hammer" some of the notes. The best definition i have for this is to pound the string rather than strike it. I was wondering how you can play using this technique as its quite fast and i cant seem to figure it out.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The hammer-on is not too difficult
    First, you fret a note and pluck the string. Now without plucking the string again press a finger down on another fret on the same string. The action of hitting or hammering the string with your finger will make the string sound.

Hope this helps

Mike

9. hey
    havn't been in this forum for a bit :)

i think getting a teacher is extremely important, but like mike sais, get someone who inspires you, not one of your mates who has played for 6 months longer :D
    my teacher is extremely inspirational to me and whenever i find myself in, say a rut, as soon as i have a lesson i'm completly inspired again!
    so go get one! :)

*Si*

p.s.
    interesting avater mike, hope alls well and happy new year