Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new at using stacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Okay so here goes. I am such a noob. When connecting a amplifiers to more than one speaker cabinet should I connect both cabs to the head or the head to one cab then cab to the other cab? I really need help cause I can't find and diagrams stating this. I appreciate the help. Oh by the way both cabs are 8ohm and the head can take a load of 4ohm. Thanks for the input

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    6 of one, half dozen of the other.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Hook both up to the head unless you like fireworks.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Either way will work but technically both to the head will deliver more power, although the difference would be almost unmeasurably small.

5. Que?

More often than not, it doesn't matter which way you do it because most cabs are setup for parallel connections. So, either way you do it you'll have both cabs in parallel = 4 ohms.

But, the disclaimer is that you should first be confident that your gear follows the "standard" practice before connecting it like this.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Which is why I said to hook them up seperate, just incase it doesn't go over too well.

Better safe than sorry.

7. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Thanks for the input. Just feel like a dufus for not knowing that but I am horrible with electronics and have never had to actually use anything other than a half stack. Now that I am in the full stack range I wanted to make sure that I didn't blow something up in the process.

8. yeah, but who's to say the amp isn't wired up in some funky way!? Why be "half safe and half sorry" when you can go the full hog!?

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Either way you do it will be fine. Don't even bother to worry about it.
    Plug in and enjoy.

tk

10. Make sure you stack the 2nd speaker on top of the first one, not next to it. That's why they call it a "stack". You can hook it up either way, head to cab to cab, or both cabs direct to head.

Randy