Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New ATK for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Showed up today. Cracked open the box, unzipped the gig bag, and BANG. Here's the ATK in all of it's glory. The three different coils don't really sound all that different, but with it's 3 band EQ (which sounds quite nice, might I add), I can make it do just about whatever I need it too.

Sounds good fingerstyle, slap is tones are OK thus far, though I'm sure I can find something better, but when you apply a pick, whoa momma! this thing is a picksters dream. I can get some seriously aggro tones picked through this bad boy.

Flamed koa top, maple fretboard, 3 piece maple neck, alder body. Couple of dings, but overall in great shape. Contrary to what I've been told, this isn't that heavy at all. Straplocks going on tonight, and BEAD restringing to follow, maybe this weekend.

Piccies!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry this one is blurry, I was trying to get a good shot of the flame figure.

[​IMG]

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Last one.

[​IMG]

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks good, man! I agree with the pick comment, but as for the difference in sound, I hear a big difference with the switch all the way back. HUGE Stingray kinda tone! How's the spacing on the 300? I've never played one, only the 305, which is pretty dang tight. Slap you a set of DR Highbeams on there, and it will SCREAM at you!!
    How's it looking for the ATL trip for you? Might be kinda nice to get our ATKs together. :D
    Congrats, but don't let that new L2k get jealous!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    String spacing is nice and wide. It's a P style neck, and it's 19mm at the bridge.

ATL is lookin' good, but we'll see in the beginning of March.

7. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    that's sweet
    how much did it end up costin you?

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco

That is one nice ATK!

The flame on the KOA top is awesome!

I'm surprised that you don't hear a big difference with the pickup switch all the way back - it sounds super different on mine.

I like that clear pickguard too. Very nice touch. Mine has a (heavy) ash body. Is yours a special edition or something?

The tone with a pick is pretty remarkable. The review in Bass Player from way back when mentioned this as well.

Have fun with it,

-Shin

9. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Man, that looks alot nicer in your pictures than it did mine...

Have fun with it.

And the pick is where it's at on those mofos

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Zombie: I traded for it. So it didn't cost me a thing.

shirojiro: I don't know. I've never seen a Koa topped one before, but I surely do like this one. It's pretty light, beings that it has an alder body.

beefy: Oh, I am. I am...this thing is a hoot and a half. Between this and my G&L, I've got the P, MM, and J tones covered.

Maybe I'll get a family shot sometime here soon...

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Does anyone happen to remember what the koa special edition used to be called? ATK 310? ATK 300K?

By the way, Ibanez also made a special edition ATK with a flamed maple top, translucent crimson red body finish, a pearloid pickguard, rosewood fretboard, and a black headstock front. Needless to say, those ATKs look absolutely badass. Did anyone manage to snag one?

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That's the only picture of an ATK 600 I could find online.

[​IMG]

13. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    This board is hilarious -

ATKs are definitely a fetish here.

I bought mine on a bit of a whim, influenced in part by members of this board!

I play mine finger style and slap, but the pick sound really is pretty huge.

I've never seen or heard of a rosewood frretboard with flame maple top on an ATK, but if I found one, I'd buy it.

-Shin

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oops, I've just remembered: Ibanez also made a few ATKs with special sparkling finishes such as sparkling blue and sparkling silver!!! Hey, don't look at me like that -- the guitar magazine I used to read was kind of fond of ATKs, that's all. :D

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    The huge ashtray-bridge looks kinda tacky. (But I bet it's much easier to intonate than a Spector...)

16. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    I found an ATK300, korean made....$400...it s a good deal? it have a good quaity neck?
    thanx

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i just bought an ATK. i guess it could be a 600 model.

[​IMG]

can you confirm? do you have others ATK 600 pics?

18. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm still on the look out for an ATK 300 body to slap this Rosewood 100 neck on. My friend picked up a white/maple 300 that I'm just envious of.

I'm loving my ATK 100, though. I just would like some active EQ.

Congrats Brendan. In keeping with tradition, you must sell it to me when you're done.

BTW, did you buy it off a Talkbasser? I saw an ad for one earlier this week.

19. didn't brendan already sell this like a year ago? i know steve barr sold one last january on ebay. it went for a ridiculously low price and i still kick myself for holding back on that one. the flamed koa was gorgeous.

robb.

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey barosso - do you still have the pickguard that came with it? If so, what color is it and would you be interested in selling it outright or trading for a black ATK pickguard?