Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new avatar 4x10's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 20, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    im looking into getting an avatar speaker set up, probably either a 2x12 matched with a 2x10 or just a 4x10. last time i checked there was only one kind of 4x10 but now they have two more. wondering if anyone has played these new cabs and how do they sound? also what would youguys do, get one single 4x10 cab or the 2x12 and 2x10? thanks. bret

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Eh... Do a search, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on them within the last two weeks...

3. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I would be interested in knowing how the 2x10 matches up with the 2x12. Would the 2x12 be to much for the 2x10? Switching the amp to bi-amp mode and turning the gains down on the 2x12 may help.

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Depends! What head are you placing atop the cab or cabs and what wattage are you planning to throw? Hold up cowboy! Do you want a 2x12 and 2x10 sound or are you going after this based on guess work? A 2x12 will do the job of a good quality 4x10 as far as volume but, will of course, sound different (a bit lower). I almost purchased a 2x12 as a main cab. Yes, they will handle power playing and sound great. So will a good 4x10. But I ended up after a year and a half a research buying a ported 4x10 and horn cab. I will never look back ,unless I need lighter equipment. I bought Ampeg (awesome but heavy). Not dogging Avatar, but check out Dr. Bass before commiting. Dr. Bass uses the same speakers and uses a far better NASA type polymer coating. They look incredible. WWW.Drbasscabs.com

5. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I have a Avatar 410neo and it's fine. Has good low end and easy to nove around. It's got a barky sound and works well.