Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Avatar/Ashdown Rig Arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillCO, Apr 23, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, it's here. I'm in day 3 or 4 of ownership of the new rig, and so far I'm digging it like an old soul record!

Obervations -

- These Avatar cabinets are great. Why would anyone pay double or more for name brand cabinets when these are available?
    - I got a 1x12" instead of a 1x15" as my "second" cab. Glad I did. It seems to have enough bass to round out the low end from the 210 Neo, but it's lighter and probably a little punchier. Actually I think it would sound great as a single cab with an electric upright. I need to get one of those...
    - The MK500 head is very strong, and pretty simple to use. The tone is great, the EQ is responsive, and it's damn powerful.
    - I notice that I have to turn the "input" knob up to at least 3:00 to get noticeable movement on the input strength meter. Both of my basses are active, so I would be tempted to think that the output signal from the bass would be strong, not weak. Has anyone else noticed this with Ashdowns?
    - I like the Harmonic Emphasis feature, although only used judiciously. It has the effect of adding some high-end shimmer to the sound. It's definitely more noticeable when playing thumb slap than with finger style. I would almost describe it as an extremely, extremely subtle chorus sound. In any case, it makes my TRB5 sound a little more hi-fi than it actually is. I do wish that it were foot-switchable, however.

I can't wait to gig with this setup. You may notice that there's some space available in my rack. I'm going to add a RackRider and a Really Nice Compressor soon, and that should fill it up nicely.

Here it is - comments welcome!

[​IMG]

2. Well off the top of my head, it's because I like a lot of solid low end and I think Eden sounds much better than Avatar.

3. Nice-looking rig! Avatars are real workhorses. How's the B210 Neo sound?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    With the Ashdown head, if you turn the input up higher than the master, the needle starts to jump more. It is more of a preamp clip meter than an in input monitoring meter.

5. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    Strange. I had an Eden 210XLT that I sold and bought an Avatar 2x10 and 2x12. No comparison between the 2x10s, Avatar, hands down winner.

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

FWIW, I've got an Eden D210XLT and a D410T, as well as two Avatar 112s. I'm currently selling both the Edens and keeping both the Avatar cabs.

Results are same with three different heads and 3-4 different basses. Avatars do it for me, and the Edens don't!

YMMV, of course.

dcr

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Edens have a ton more low end in their cabs than the Avatars. Thats my biggest observed difference between the two.

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

They also have a funky mid-range that Avatars don't!

dcr

9. Obviously you have not tried the B115H with Kappa Pro LF's.

10. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It sounds great - very punchy, great in the low mids. I've only played it alone in my basement though - the real test will come when I play with the guitarist and drummer.

11. It's nice to know that there are a variety of different sounding cabs available these days for everyone to pick from. I hope nobody is paying more just to get a brand name. I also hope that everyone has actually "USED" all of the cabs they are praising or putting down.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I recently got a Avatar 212. Low end is NOT a problem, believe me. My wife and kid were out of the house for a few hours, and I may need to replaster the walls after the jam session I unleashed earlier. :D

Haven't heard the Eden cabs; I'd rather spend my cash on basses than on speakers. :)

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have the same cab setup although I'm using Hartke to power them. Bless Avatar Speakers! So much rumble! :D