Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Avatar B410 Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony G, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Does anyone have any experience with this cab here? It gets a pretty raving review from bass guitar magazine, and there are some great reviews for it on harmony-central, but I want to hear what if anybody, my fellow tb's think of it.

Here is the link: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/B410 NEO.htm

Also curious about the overall idea of avatar. Their prices seem too good to be true for good sounding gear.

2. I just got my first avatar 2x12 cab last week, and I am rather impressed. They truly are a fine product. If I were you I'd check out the 2x12 cabs also. They make a great stand-alone cab. I will be buying again from avatar as soon as I have money to expand my rig. By the way, I am running 1250 watts into it and its absolutely sings

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I already own a 2x12 neo cab from genz benz, and I think I want to go the route of 10's again. I'm glad to hear that you like the quality though. I'm thinking about going with the 4 ohm b410 neo as a stand alone cab, being powered by my SWR WorkingPro 700.

4. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    I've been using one for several months and think it's a fine sounding cabinet. I play blues and root rock in medium sized bars with no sound reinforcement. The Avatar neo 410 is working out fine. I'm using a SWR SM400S with the Avatar

5. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm totally sold on Avatars from everything I hear on the web about them... anyone have any experience with their 210 stacked on their Neo 212? That seems to be the best price/weight combo for my situation, I just wonder how it performs.

Sorry if this seems like hijacking, but I didnt really wanna start yet another Avatar thread :D. Any avatar discussion in the thread would benefit both of us though :thumb:

6. I have an Avatar B410 Neo. It has decent lows, they're not as huge as a 215 but are present and tight. It has a smoother less-boxy midrange than the B212 I have and provides a smooth, pleasant tone. I ran some music through my box and noticed a cutting high mid bump, but it's not intrusive when playing or anything. I don't like the way the tweeter sounds on either Avatar cab I own, and I have a 4th order crossover on the B212. It's a little too harsh and in-your-face sounding, something slightly more muted/smooth would suit me better, but you're impression may be different.

I stack my 410 on top of my B212 at gigs and run my Firebass at 2ohms/700w. The two cabs compliment one another nicely. It's loud enough for every gig I've played so far, which includes indoor and outdoor stages.

I prefer the 410 Neo as a stand alone cab, because it's just as loud/louder than the B212, has a nicer more-flexible tone IMHO, and it's lightweight and easy to handle. I can actually hold the 410 in one hand while I open a door with the other.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    thanks for the feedback on this cab guys!

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Its cool with me man! :) Mi casa su casa!

9. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    :smug: I'll take you up on that next time i'm in NY

10. I've gigged one for about a year now.I swapped the tweeter with a Sellenium horn/compression driver and a different crossover and the high end is smoother,mine didn't have the new crossover Dave uses now.I love the weight,volume and low end it has but the mids don't do it for me.I think the two Avatar CB 112s I had had a more present midrange than the NEO 410.It is very articulate sounding but seems a little sterile for the music I play.I know this is different than what others have said but everybody has different tastes.One of the guitar players in my band who also plays bass bought it and loves it with his old Music Man tube head. I use it at practice and it sounds good but it didn't do it for me live,I guess I like the sound of the Delta 12LFs better.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I am really looking for info from people who have used the more recent model with the Foster high frequency compression horn tweeter and the new deltalite 10's with the Xmax feature.

12. My cabinet was the Neo 410 with the Foster tweeter and I used it for three or four gigs before I changed the tweeter/ crossover.Mine had the old style single cap crossover and the high end sounded ok but not real smooth.Daves newer crossover should take care of this and sound more like mine after I changed.When I first used it live with the band I had a hard time hearing it and really had to boost the mids,it's kind of scooped in the mids like a SWR or Peavey 410.Very loud and clean sounding by itself but got lost in the mix.Thats why I changed to the different horn and crossover,to help cut through some.I guess I'm just used to the Eden mid cut,it seems I can always hear it on stage.The Avatar Neo 410 is a fine cabinet,light,loud and clean sounding,it just wasn't my sound.YMMV

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks for the info Blues Bass!

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I just got my 410 Neo yesterday!!! So far I am very impressed! The construction seems just as good as my Genz Benz Neo 212 and the price on this thing was phenominal for what you get! Great job Avatar!

15. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Any other info or feedback on the new crossover compared to the old stlye? Ive had my Avatar 212LF for about a month now and am considering changeing the tweeter.

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think the crossover on my cab is just fine. Maybe I'm not as picky as some here, but I don't see a problem with it. I'm pretty sure I have the most up to date crossover though from avatar.