Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Avatar Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenacious E, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I received my Avatar 410 last week. I am using it with my Gibson GB 440 head. I haven't used it with the band yet, but it sounds awesome while being played in the extra bedroom with my J-basses.

Some of you might be interested to know that the new ones are now front-ported. I know that one of the main criticisms of the Avatar cabs was the rear port design.

Eric

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    guess I bought mine 6 months too early:(

tough to complain about it though...he's obviously rippin' you newest Avatar owners off, cause he raised the price a few $$...kidding of course...:D

still the best deal around short of stealing a cab...(not recommended unless you want to play in the jailhouse band)

3. Yeah, I think the new price is $30 more, but the grand total including castors and delivery was $330. Not bad!

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It seems this is the age of the great deal on quality, cheap bass cabs. I just nailed one of the Musicman 2x10's for $260 SHIPPED. Can't beat that!

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i may get the new front ported 4x10 to fully use the bi-amping capabilities of my hartke 7000. of course i'll have to turn down (yeah right!). do you play a B string through it? how does it handle low E at high volumes? i can't imagine having 8 10's!!! :D

6. I only play 4 string, but it seems to be handling the low E quite well, even at high volumes.

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my only criticism of my 4x10 is that when I hit the low B, it's missing something. Low E is super strong, even the D sounds fantastic, but something is lost between there and the B. But, I built a cheapo custom 1x15" to help with that.
    Wonder if the new ones being front ported will help with that at all??

wonder how many folks have bought an Avatar cab based upon the comments on TB...perhaps they should be a corporate sponsor!:D

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Also, the 1x15 cabs have been upgraded to 500w cast frame Kappa Pro speakers for only $10 more than they used to cost.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i would love to have a 15 as well but i need four ohms...
    and no i don't want 2 15's.

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The 15"-loaded cabs are available in 4 ohms now. :D

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Damn Dave, upgrading his cabs on me like that!!! Anyone in the market for a 6 mo old Avatar 4x10 :D ?

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I just ordered a new 4 ohm 4x10 from him yesterday. It will probably be here around Dec. 2nd or so. (That damned Thanksgiving is killin' me!) I'm looking fwd to it for the rave reviews the cabs have gotten from this site and Harmony Central. I play 5's so I'm hoping for good results with my B's and a a cab that will project well and allow me to crank up the volume when needed. With a 2 week turn around and a grand total of $321 shipped, how can you go wrong?

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I just ordered the 112. I will order the 15c next and I am really looking forward to the pair. :D

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah buddy! i'm getting one then!!!

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was really hoping to get a B410 for Christmas. Is the new front-ported option something you have to specifically ask for, or are they now all front-ported?

16. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my guess is that what you see is what you get on his web-site. Up until recently, they were rear ported...looks like now Dave has changed their design a bit.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What's his webpage address again? I tried to look for it and got a software company.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com

The B410 on the website states that it's rear-ported; that's why I was wondering if front-ported is something that you need to request.

19. diff,
    When I placed the order by email, Dave replied and asked if I wanted the old rear-ported cab or one of the new front port ones.
    Eric

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks Tenacious E.