new AVATAR crossover. Any tried one yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Might be a bit too soon for this question, but I'm curious if anyone has tried the new crossover.
    If you have, could you please post a bit of info on your cab, type of speakers, etc..

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are at least 2 separate threads with user comments on this subject. Type in "Avatar crossover mod" in the search field and I believe you'll find them....the search function is your friend :D
  3. I was not referring to the multitude of "avatar crossover mod" threads and discussions. I was referring to the NEW crossover being used and sold by AVATAR. The last thread mentioned the new crossover. I checked with this thread before posting my own. I was wanting to know if anyone had one yet, and had tested it.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool....wasn't aware that Avatar is marketing their own crossover, and I didn't gather that from your first post...sorry 'bout that.

I hope someone is able to provide you with info. Good luck!
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I am also waiting for people to post replies in this thread about the new Avatar crossover. And how much does it cost if you had already bought an Avatar cab?
  6. 24$ + ship i think is what dave told me

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is th at being built into the new cabs (ie. 212 NEO later this summer) or just as a modification?
  8. It will be implemented into existing models until the old stock is moved out right?
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ooh . . . the crossover was the hissy part, right? Or was that the tweeter . . . ?
  10. are they still gonna be selling the regular cab loaded with the deltas, or are they gonna have the neo completely replace that? how much of a difference in wattage would there be between the deltas model and neos model?
  11. It should be retrofitted to the existing cabs as well. Avatar's previous Foster Horn crossover (mylar cap)wasn't a complicated or expensive crossover . But I would make sure any cab I ordered did have the new crossover in it.
    It's also a worthy and inexpensive upgrade to those of you that already have Avatar cabs.
    Keep in mind that LoveThatBass also has a 4th order? crossover that he builds and sells that is probably one of the best solutions, at a slightly higher price.
    Either way, they should make that horn sound so much better, handle wattage better without distortion, etc..

12. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Actually, neither. Hissy preamps on cheap basses and bass amps have hiss. Garbage in - garbage out. With my passive (quiet) NYBW basses and (quiet) Read preamp, I get no hiss from my Avatars. I don't like the sound of the Foster horn but that is another issue.

That said, the design of the crossover can affect how much your system's hiss is amplified. Still it is not the crossover or tweeter that 'generates' the hiss, they simply amplify what is already in the signal like any speaker.
  13. I thought I'd add to this..

Got my new crossover/panel (4 ohm) + Foster horn installed in my 2x15 cab.. I really like it. Although my cab is FAR from perfect, the tweeter gives me some of what I was missing with the Eminence Kappa Pro LF-2s I had by themselves.
    I never had the chance to try the previous crossovers, but I'm getting a nice clean sound with the tweeter volume in about the mid position. Above that, I start to get some hiss, but even that isn't bad. To me, the horn sounds very natural.
    I did notice that my Kappas are no longer "squawky?" as they were before, but much of that probably has to do with the fact that I'm no longer trying to force frequencies from them that they don't reproduce well. I've got some nice punchiness to the cab that I never heard before.

Anyways.. THANKS DAVE@Avatar! He has been a great help..

14. ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    I just got a B410Pro with the new Crossover and it's good but can't copare to the old one. I don't turn mine passed 12 o'clock anyway. A little hiss all the way up but than that could be my cheap ass DEAN.
  15. all new avatar products WILL have the new crossover.

my neo212 is on order right now. i should have it in a weeks time, ill let you know. however i wont have the old one to base my comments off of.

and for the one asking about the neo series taking over, no it wont. it will be just like avatars 410's. just another model. the delta is cheaper, heavier and handles more wattage. 1000. while the neo is more expensive, lighter, and only handles 600w. FWIW.