Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Avatar SB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rezdog, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    The New Avatar SB112,has anyone played through or heard one yet? Any reviews,specs and or comparisons to the older model or other manufacturers 112's?Thanks....
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    $5 says its a winner.

3. I believe you are referring to the SB112, which is the new model with a "huge" front port. I had the 4 ohm version for a month. Very good cab, especially for that price. Handles my low A (I D-tune) with ease, good for up to mid size gigs as a stand alone. It's a little bigger than the older version but the lows are more defined. Sold it since I've got a killer deal on an EA CXL112.

hope that helps.

:bassist:

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Regarding the SB112 was the configuration different from the previous 112 of Avatar's? In so much is it now a lay down cab with the port going down the long side of the cab? I ask this because the Avatar site made reference to them now being stackable with their other cabinets. Thanks...
    Rezdog

5. Rezdog, I really don't know, but you should contact
    Dave directly. He's one of the most helpful guys out there
    and he will advise you properly.

All I can say is that his cabs are built very solid and both of them (the 112 and the 2x12) sounded tight.

:bassist:

6. Hmm, these sound interesting. Anybody know where I can find some info on them?

7. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Do you mean the CB112? I don't see a SB112 on the Avatar site.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Rezdog, I notice you are in Canada. Avatar does not ship outside the U.S. Do you know of a source in Canada?

9. CB112, Avatar has no SB series.

10. SeanM;

you should contact Dave. I've heard that he ships to Canada.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From the Avatar website:

"CB112 Compact Bass Cab. Discontinued.Out of stock. Watch for new SB112 coming soon."

-Mike

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Nope, I do indeed mean SB112. Click on the CB112 and it says coming soon SB112. I did send an email acouple of days ago to Dave about another matter and if I recall correctly he said they were already shipping. So on the outside chance I thought maybe one of the TB peoploids might have one.
    Rezdog

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I did and he dosen't :( Probably dosen't want to deal with exports. I can't say I blame him.

14. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    From Avatar's site:

"CB112 Compact Bass Cab. Discontinued.Out of stock. Watch for new SB112 coming soon.
    The new SB112 will essentially be the same cab but since so many guys were buying the old tall cab and then laying it flat on its side, we decided to change the orientation of the diamond patterned grill to match that of the other cabs in the line. So now you can stack a B210/ B410 or any of the other Avatar cabs with the new SB112 and the four corners will fit and the grills will all look the same."

Hope that helps.

15. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Ship it to a forwarding place.Then have them ship it here.I am:)
    Rezdog

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I suppose that you could be talking about the new SB112 but I spoke to Dave of Avatar last Friday and he just got in the first SB112 cab's the latter part of last week (grill rotated 90 degree's and slightly wider to match the width of the 210, 410 and 115). The port stayed the same size and it's on the side now (which use to be the top). Dave claimed that none had shipped yet and shipped me the first two Friday. They are due here in Georgia tomorrow or Friday. Either I misunderstood Dave or you had another version of the CB112. I'll post a review on the cabinets after they arrive

17. Joe, my mistake and thanks for the info. I had the CB112.

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The new Avatar SB-112's arrived today. I was very impressed with the packaging quality. High quality thick cardboard boxes with internal cardboard corner supports inside at all cabinet corners. Each cabinet was also wrapped in plastic and fully taped up. The cabinets, quality wise look, as good as my current SWR's (which I consider high quality). Now for the real test, how do they sound? Excellent! I hooked up my Mesa M-Pulse 600 and gave them a work out. Very tight and punchy! More open sounding than my 10" speaker cabinets. Not as noticably compressed sounding as 10"s but they hold together very well with slap and pop style playing. I found the comments concerning the Avatar Foster tweeter to be true. Even with the tweeter level at 3-4 they are fairly bright. With the level set at approx. 2 they blend with the woofers great. I'm sure that there will be some gigs that having that added high end capability will be an advantage. The real test will be when I play them out on a gig but initial response is both thumbs up! $436 for 2 1-12"w/horn cabinets shipped to your door! What a deal! Great job Dave!:hyper:

19. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I'm waiting for the new 15's myself.