New Avatar SB123 3 Way Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrodbass39, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jrodbass39

jrodbass39

Mar 15, 2015
    Extremely longtime lurker here...

I'm in search of a couple 1x12 cabinets and ran across Avatars new SB123 cabs. Couldn't find anything here. Anyone have one or any info? Wonder how it compares to a 12/6/1.

2. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Here's the issue people currently have with Avatar (to my understanding): They don't really spec their cabs around a certain speaker, so none of their boxes are correctly tuned. This isn't a big deal with guitar cabs and give guitarists more opportunity to mix/match speakers, but us bass players suffer from it.

Personally, I have owned two avatar cabs, and their build quality and sound were both top notch to me. This seems like a pretty good deal to get into a three way cab.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Really interested in the new Avatar 123 also.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    /\/\3phist0 and JdoubleH like this.
  5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    bump

*interested

6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    What exactly is the difference between the sb123 and the sb126?

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Dimensions, components, and textual description are exactly the same: so what is the difference, aside from $60?

8. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    The SB123 has a midrange speaker. These and the SB112 and SB126 occupy the same box that houses their 2x10 cab. I've had the 210, the 212, and now the B115. Like them all, though they tend to run a little large for what they are. Not the lightest either. Totally indestructible. I'm considering a single 12 of theirs for my small gigs, likely the SB112 with the Faital speaker option for $30.

9. the 123 is 3 way - woofer, midrange, and tweeter - and the 126 is two way with a woofer and midrange with no tweeter.

It looks as if there is a problem in the order dropdowns. I think they just ported them over from the 126 as the text for the 123 talks about the crossover from the woofer to the mid at 800 hz. while the dropdowns give you a choice between 1.6khz and 2.5khz. The 800 makes more sense to me and I wish it was available on the two way cab. I'm often tempted with the 1.6 and would be really tempted with an 800 on the two way. I don't feel the need for the tweeter but could see myself going that way just to get the lower crossover to the midrange.

As with all Avatars it looks like good bang for the buck but not in the same league as the boutiques.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    Somehow I dont think they care anout competing with Boutiques.

I just brought hime their B115, the thing is built like a tank!

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It is a 12/6/1. :thumbsup:

MM

12. Absolutely... but folk here often denigrate them because they don't or folk act as if they are the same thing as the boutiques. As you said, they aren't built to compete in that price or quality category. In the category they fit, they are, as I said, good bang for the buck. Components are good to excellent. They have the reputation of being built like tanks. Price is very reasonable. True, the cab dimensions could likely be better engineered but I'd be surprised if anything in their price point is any better in that regard. And from all of the reports, across the line, they sound as good or better than anything else in that price category.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Klondike, Orpheus55 and Khronic like this.
  13. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    Yep,all true. As a relative noob, I've been on bass for two years, this an excelent cab for me altjough the 112 probably would be better as I have no need to push as much air as the 15 will push.

Next in my cab GAS is an amp, probably a GK 400 RB but could be AMPEG PF500 if I find one cheap enough. However the ampegs were having smoking issues (lol) and as an ex smoker I don't really want that in my house

14. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    I love the B115. I have found that it is lighter than the listed weight of 60 lbs; mine comes in at about 52 on the scale. Will likely be getting the SB112 for smaller gigs.

Klondike likes this.
  15. jrodbass39

jrodbass39

Mar 15, 2015
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. Was looking for a 1x12 cab anyway for practice and at home and have always wanted to get an avatar cab. Didn't really have the money or resources to build a fEARful. I feel confident I could build one, it's just I don't really have all the tools I need,. Eventually I'll either get another 112, 126, 123 or 210 depending how I like this one. For now it'll be paired with my old hartke 2.5xl for gigs.

Orpheus55 likes this.
  16. I'll be looking forward to your report.

17. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    sub'd

18. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Glad this thread was started. I was just about to put an order into the 12/6/1 kit from speakerhardware when I saw the new SB123. After all is said and done the fearful would be around $800 while the SB123 is $553, wondering if the fearful's quality, dispersion, performance, etc. (plus the experience of building a cab and making it MINE), is worth the additional $250, especially when $250 is a lot of money to me.

EDIT: Just found the second page of this thread which is helpful Avatar 12/6 vs fEarful 12/6

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Klondike likes this.
  19. jrodbass39

jrodbass39

Mar 15, 2015
    Had very similar thoughts to this. Was looking at building a 12/6/1 but it would cost about 300 dollars more and I didn't have a ton of experience building a cab. I've built a ton of pedals and worked on basses, but it would still take a lot of time. It looks like the SB123 isn't necessarily a copy of a fEARful 12/6/1, but rather taking a normal 1x12 and making it more full range. I would say it's not in competition with the fEARful, but rather every normal 1x12 on the market in the same price range (400-600). I have a hartke 2.5xl (2x10 with a 5" mid speaker) and on it's own it seems to be lacking that high end from a tweeter. Matched with another tweeter-filled cab and it blends in very well. Hoping to get something similar from this.

I ordered a SB123 with the standard Delta 12LF and 2.5kHz crossover at 8 ohms. From what I've read, these cabs are based around the Delta speakers, so I went with those. Putting a different speaker (Kappalite 3012LF) into this cab might not produce favorable results, even though the speaker is overall better. Would have liked to go with the Deltalite, but the 250w power rating is a bit low for what I'm looking for. Also don't play a 5 string so I don't need the lowest of the lows.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  20. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Great! Let us know how it sounds!