New Avatars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jun 15, 2003.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    My new Avatar 115 and 210 arrived last week. Plugged them into a Sansamp RBI and Carvin FET1000. Now I have a serious rig! I previously was playing through an SWR Workingman's 15. I'll no longer have trouble hearing myself over the lead guitarist's Marshall stack.

I ordered them without consulting the wife. When she asked "How much did that cost?" I replied "about 5 gigs". It's nice to have a hobby that semi-supports itself. Now only 10 more gigs until the Stingray 5! Or maybe I should order it anyway.
  2. How's it sound?

I was thinking about eventully getting the same set-up...

(cabs that is)

how's the tone,etc?

Congrats too!

:) :oops:
  3. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    It sounds awesome. The 210 has alot of punch and the whole rig really shook the room. The FET1000 may not be the best poweramp to use, but it was free (it's on indefinite loan from our sound man).

We have an outdoor show this weekend -- I can't wait to try it out.

Incidentally, Dave was extremely helpful in selecting the right speakers and a pleasure to talk with.
  4. sweet!

I can't wait to get mine:)

umm...I have another question.

How was the 210 alone on hitting all the low,mid,and high notes? were they well leveled? thanks..

5. I can chime in here, as I just received a 2x12 and 2x10. The 2x10 does all the frequencies well. I drive it with an SVT-2 Pro, and it owns. It's punchy as hell, like you'd expect from 10's. It gets the Martha Stewart "It's a good thing" seal of approval.

6. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    At first, I was like, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about!! But then, I saw Martha was down with it. VERY comforting! ;) I was actually just thinking what Osama asked... that means I can just get the 2x10 and then later, if the need arises, get a 2x12. Right on!! :D :bassist:

btw, how's the 2x12 by itself? it's the same size as the Avatar 4x10 right?
  7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey guys, I've got the 212 & 210 also. IMO the 210 is a little lacking in lows but has a beautiful punch from mid-bass on up. The 212 has tons of low-end and a very smooth mid to high-end. Each cab has what the other lacks, so they work real well together. As a standalone I use the 212 because it covers the whole frequency range, but it doesn't have the mid punch of 10s. I've got an 800RB and a Mesa M-2000. Mesa + 212 = 2 many lows. (never thought I'd say that)
  8. I can tell you right now that I can really crank it with just one of Dave's CB115's. Heh, the hartke 3500 is loud, and I can't imagine how loud it would be if I were pushing the cab with a full 600 watts of power which is its handling capabilities...:eek: Seriously, lol, screw combo amps, this thing has some serious volume for it's size! My combo was the same size, not as deep and a little different in dimensions (only 1/2" differences per length, height, depth) and the combo had 2 12's in it. This single 15 is louder. A LOT louder, and goes a lot lower. Awesome rig.
  9. The 2x12 is alot like Talloybass said. It has a lot of the low end that the 2x10 lacks. I still haven't found my tone yet, but that's because I haven't had enough time. ANYWAYS, I have to agree that the 2x12 does all the freqs, but it doesn't hit the mids nearly as well (read: not as punchy in the mids) as the 2x10. About the size, I don't know the exact dimensions of the 4x10, but the 2x12 is pretty big. Not huge, but pretty big.

10. I'm sure the lows will be fine for me...I hope:)

11. well it all depends on what you play. I play mostly punk and ska, and lows aren't super important to me. I could survive on just the 2x10, but the 2x12 just gives it booty. The 2x10 is Jennifer Lopez, the 2x12 is the booty. Yeah, that's it.
  12. I've been looking at that avatar b210. what is the db rating? It can handle 700 watts!!! thats insane!

I thought about coupling it with an acme low b2(the one that is just for lows). What do you guys think?
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have an Avatar setup too. I'm really into the 'deep end' so to speak, therefore I have the B210 and a B115! I gotta hear the lows!
  14. I think its about 101db. I have one.

With 200 watts it gets pretty loud on a typical clean bass sound - but not enough for a loud drummer.

With distorted guitar (or bass) it is earbleeding. I dread to think what 1000 watts into it would be like.... nearly twice as loud??

It does drop off very rapidly in the bass though. It sounds smooth and not tinny, but theres no real booty.
    At lower volumes you can crank the 40hz on your amp and get by though...

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000

If you ran the Avatar and Acme (B2W) on the same amp, assuming that they're both 8 ohm or both 4 ohm cabinets, you would barely hear the Acme...the efficiency difference is huge. If the Acme was 4 ohms and the Avatar was 8, I doubt that you'd really hear the Acme then either. Only with a stereo power amp with individual level controls can you get them even close...and the Acme will run out of steam long before the Avatar does.

Having said all that, the Acme will give you nice meaty lows if you have a way to balance the volume of the cabs individually and don't plan on playing really loud.
  16. james_willy

Jun 17, 2003
    So, I'm looking at the 210 03 set up. I just bought a GK 400RB. I am not a loud player, I'm just looking for a good practice/rehearsal/stage moniter. I play everything unless it's super heavey. A lot of jazz, a lot of Pink Floyd, extendajam esque folk rock. From what I've read the 210 will probably doer for me. Any comments, before I drop the dough?
  17. wait so what would be better for lows..

the 2x10 w/ 115 or 2x10 w/2x12???!!!111111
  18. I think 2x10 will give you the best lows...but all around 2x10,and 2x12 would be it.