New Baby Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedders, Mar 18, 2005.

1. pedders

Jan 3, 2005
    It's time to buy a second bass, a 4 string this time.

I'd like something that sounds slightly old-fashioned, Zeppelin/Free/Hendrix that kinda thing?

it's been suggested I look at the fender jazz line, stingrays and possibly even an old vox. if someone could give me a few pointers what to look out for, it would be appreciated. I know bollocks all about gear to be honest.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender precision bass...........duh? :p
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Maybe a deluxe precision?
  5. pedders

Jan 3, 2005
    boy, do i feel like the village tool. what are the main differences between precision and jazz? deluxe/non.
  6. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    Check out this thread under "newbie links":

It will give you a pretty solid explanation between the differences between a Precision and a Jazz.

The most glaring, obvious distinction of the Deluxe series is the active electronics. However, if you're looking for an old-fashioned, Zep-type tone, it would seem to me that a passive Jazz would do you fine, IMHO. Try a MIA Jazz with the S-1 switch - I have one, and I find I can get a nice, tight vintage Jazz tone with the switch disengaged, and a thick, booming P-sound with the switch on and the tone dialed down (with the bridge pickup pretty much turned down as well).

Don't worry about looking bad. We all learn from those who've been there. However, if you go to the "Amps" section and bring up Behringer, you're on your own...
  7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Zeppelin? Hendrix? Doesn't that call for a Jazz... :eyebrow:? :p

Anyway, Jazz Bass, flatwounds... that's what you'd like.