New Baby Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Got word today that we have a new child arriving tomorrow. Here's some pictures:
  2. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  3. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    That ceruse finish is deinately the coolest Fbass color IMO.

That's a really solid bass, have fun with it.

But the question it a boy or a girl? :)
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thats ugly!!! ;)
    gotta admit- the ceruse is most unique...
    congrats, Larry- where did you get it???:rolleyes:
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

I think i need to change my underware...thats beautiful! Some specs? :D ;)
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, what i nice finish. he's got some of the nicest finishes. not too crazy about the wood knobs though.
  7. Yeah, I think chrome/silver colored would be da'BOMB!

That really is an amazing finish man *drools*:D :cool:
  8. The first time I played an F-Bass it looked very much like that one. I love that ceruse finish. The bass belonged to the owner of the LA Bass Exchange and he wouldn't sell it to me or I would have walked out with that bass.

Very original finish. Great look. And, to top it off, they play and sound really, really fine!

9. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    very cool finish! I don't know if I would have it, but hey, it ain't my bass! But it is a cool finish...

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW. That's a SICK finish. Congrats!!!!
  11. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Asking about Spec's? It's a BN5. Reasonable weight (under 10 pounds usually) I bought it from Adrian at Access Bass in case you couldn't tell from his comments. His service has been excellent. It has a volume and pan rather than volume volume for the first two knobs, closest to the strings and the neck. That tends to make my life simpler.

Regarding the knobs, I think chrome, black, or even white knobs might be cool. I'm going to check into that if I can't get used to the wood ones on this finish.

Should be here today.
  12. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Hey Larry!

The bass looks awesome! How does it compare to the other F Bass you had in sound and playability?

See ya on the 14th at Doc & Louie's!

13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nice bass. Ordinary but nice.

I vote for the chrome knobs.

Have a nice day.:)
  14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I prefer the word "understated". I feel that F basses are anything but ordinary. They're unusual and yet unique hand made and finished..with their own pickups and electronics, their own necks. I think the Ceruse finish is very classy yet flashy, but in a more subtle way.

Having had a beautiful quilted top Lakland now on Access Bass's site...check it out (still your favorite bass, right?) and a REALLY nice Sadowsky modern 5 with an extremely nice quilted top, I wanted something a little more unusual but understated.

Buckeye burls are not my personal choice as the alternative. My current F bass is a darker transparent turquoise with black graining. I wanted something with a little more eye appeal. The black ceruse is a nice compromise. I also happen to love black and white basses and this was one of a very few that aren't solid black with a white pickguard.

We'll see about the knobs in a few months!!

Thanks for responding!

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Welcome to the Ceruse club, Larry.

Mine is wired Master volume too. Sounds the same as Volume-Volume, just easier to turn down.

And now, according to TB tradition... any excuse to post a pic;)

16. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Here are my problems with ceruse and FBasses in general.

1. Ceruse look likes some alien life form that will morph sooner or later and consume the player.
    2. You can't see the black pickups because of the wood pieces.
    3. There are no dots on the neck.

Well at least I hope they sound good.

:rolleyes: ;)
  17. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks, it also has the 2 + 3 headstock like Jimmy Copolo's "New York" model. The E and B are definitely "tighter" feeling and I think the B is a little punchier because of it. Though..I keep reaching for the wrong tuning peg trying to find the A string.

The fingerboard is also really amazing to me with the natural graining of the wood running down the neck but the flaming within each fret running across. I haven't seen that before ... probably just didn't notice?

It will get it's devirginizing gig wise tonight. Went to hear another TB'er, Craigers2, at a club last night with his recent BN5 acquisition. Really nice tone....he was using a Sadowsky 4 string that he's had for 11 + years....all of a sudden I could both hear and feel his notes out in the audience whereas the 3 other times I've heard his band, the bass seemed more buried and didn't project well, even through the PA.

He has a Blonde Bombshell, Natural, except George didn't "blacken" the graining like your second one there in the picture. Again, a really nice, sharp as H looking, yet classy and understated instrument.

You sell your EA's yet?

18. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    That's hot, man. I think I need one of those...:)
  19. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

the top one in Kirbywx's post is the most accurate. The fingerboard is a light maple, not an antique, "yellowed" look. The graining is very clean and more subtle although, yes, there's a freakin' ton of alien do do in it, especially on the rounded edge between the bridge and the back side of the bass.

That portion obviously is not seen easily by the audience and neither is the back of the bass. The pickups not showing up and the lack 'o dots add to the visual imagery (is there such a word?) of the bassmohn. The front is a little more subtle.

As far as the alien graining morphing and consuming the player, it has already consumed me and I'm playing and sounding better than I did a few weeks, I guess your biotech analytical assessment is absolutely correct.:D