Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Baby !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classic5, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Sorry, just had to show someone who cares.
    Here are some pics of my new Belman Classic 5 String. I had it custom made by Belman Guitars in Melbourne. American swamp ash body, 35" scale maple neck with rosewood fretboard, Badass V bridge, hipshot microlight tuners, DR strings, custom made Belman pups with active treble and bass controls, rear humbucker is switchable between series, parallel and single coil. As this is my main bass, I kept the specs fairly standard. Great alternative to a Lakland which is really out of reach here due to the low exchange rate.

Did I mention great FAT sound !

I've got a passive Jim Dyson Soul Bass on order at the moment. Should be about two weeks away.

(Hope my attachment works)

2. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Sorry wrong pic.

Heres a full length shot I hope.:D

3. Very nice! Hadn't seen one of those before.

Congrats!
    Jeff

4. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Heres one more of the back.

The reflections are from the trees above.

So much for my photographic technique.

5. Sweet Bass Congrats

Im green with envy :mad: :D

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Okay... that bass just flat out looks like a dream!! How does it play and sound??

-robert

7. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Well Robert, playability is great. The 35" scale lets me get a really low action without creating annoying fret buzz or a flabby B string. I tried out quite a few bases before I ordered this one and I've got to say that this one just felt right for me.

Sound wise its very versatile with the two pup configuration. I really love the ballsy fat sound of the humbucker in parallel mode.

All of this is very subjective though. There are so many great basses out there. For me its was a matter of getting the best I could for the price I was able to pay. So I did a lot of research before finally settled on the Belman.

Thanks for asking.

:)

8. Nice bass. Nice design.
    At first I thought it was newer Ibanez ATK 400 series.

Play that puppy!!!!!

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Congrats!!

I wonder what Lakland would think?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a bit derivative, isn't it?

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    A nice looking Bass.I hope you get many good years of play out of it.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting layout on the pickguard/controls. nice burst finish. all in all, nice bass - good score :)

13. congrats on the new bass. It is nice.

14. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    It is quite different compared to a Lakland. the body shape is just a slightly modified jazz bass design. I prefer the way they feel in a sitting position compared to Belmans usual more modern shape. Have a look at www.belmanguitars.com to see what I mean.

I guess I also like the traditional styling more. But that's just a personal thing.

http://www.belmanguitars.com

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Looks like a Lakland, even in the headstock. The horns are just slightly thinner, and the pickguard is a different shape. It even has the maple on rosewood dot inlays! It looks very Lakland to me.

That said, I'm sure it's a killer bass. Congrats regardless. :)

16. It looks like a Lakland mated with a Fender Jazz, and that bass was the offspring. I like it! :D

17. That's pretty. That's the only way to sum it up.

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Lakland??? As if a Lakland doesn't look like any other particular brand?? A classic body style is hard to improve on, that's why Leo Fender didn't even try when he went to work for Musicman or later when he and George formed G&L... What's to improve??

As for the headstock, it looks a bit like a Lakland, just as a Lakland's head looks a bit like my old Hondo! Classics folks!

-robert

P.S. Still a great looking, unique bass IMO