New Bag End D10BX-D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by camoe, Mar 24, 2002.

1. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    After 3 days of playing this cab I got as a Demo, I have decided that this is the cab for me. This thing is heavy (70lbs). Fortunately, It won't be moving that much, so the high weight is really a good thing as the cabinet construction is first rate and this helps get rid of those ugly box colorations that occur with less than adequate bracing. Ideally, a completely inert box is optimum, but weight is a factor; the bag end seems to strike an even balance. The low end extension on this cab is rated at 40Hz but my room adds extension to that. With some rough testing with a modified (for flat accuracy) Radio Shack sound level meter and test disc of warble tones, I found that not only is it flat to 40Hz but audioable down to 20Hz with a slow rolloff. In my room 20hz was only off -11 db from a referance of 1kz. The cab sounds better the harder you drive it. Using a Peavey GPS amp bridged to 900 watts, I never came close to clipping the amp or driving the cab into any kind of kept begging for more and more until the clock in my home studio came crashing down after a slap on the B string. The two 10 inch drivers gave me a punch that I haven't had before. I used to feel that the B string on my Modulus was quite good. Now, I know it's not just's bad ass. Glass bowling balls shooting out of a cannon is the best way I can describe it. The coaxial tweeter is also very nice. I've never been a big fan of horn tweeters due to their hard, edgy, sound and the coaxial design cures those problems. Wide, smooth, bell like tones on the high end. I also can now hear the limitations of the Bass Pod (used as a pre) with it's inherent noise due to digital modeling and the effects because of that. All in all, a great cab which will force me to look into a better pre to compliment it.

2. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I agree, that is an outstanding enclosure.

You really do hear what is upstream.

Good choice.

3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario a recent convert to Bag End I certainly understand how you came to choose that terrific cab.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I got the D10B-D without the coax tweeter because it's an 8 ohm cab. The D10BX-D is a 4ohm load. I have mine paired on top of a BagEnd S15B-D 1x15 which is another 8 ohm cab. I didn't want to have phase issues so I stuck with the 8ohm 210. Monster rig, though, less efficient.

Now I just need a better topper than my HA3500.

Enjoy the cab. I love BagEnd!!!!
  5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Zulu, how do you find the top end of your D10B-D? The Bag End website lists the upper freq. response of the tweeterless 2x10 at 6khz, which is better than alot of guitar speakers. I'm looking for something I can drive with some distortion (SWR IOD) and still have some top end when I want it, and on paper, it looks like these would be a good choice. Thanks.

maybe Bag End would install a tweet bypass switch?
  6. I bought the D10BXD a few years ago for touring because it was capable of handling much more power than other 2-10s on the market and sounds phenomenal. (Most of them are rated for 200W continuous, but the BagEnd is rated for 400W continuous.) I had played through the Eden ported 2x10 before and often made it fart with big low notes. On tour, I pushed the BagEnd very hard and it never gave me any problems. Overall I think it is an excellent cabinet.
  7. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Who sells Bag End cabs for the best prices?
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Try this place. You'll have to call or email them for the best prices. They also have pretty good prices on QSC amps.

Life Effects
  9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I have had it for a few nights now. I haven't gigged it yet. I got it because I could get clean highs without harshness. More to excentuate the high-mids over my 115. I keep my treble settings down pretty much when playing and play mostly on the bridge pup. I did some exploring with it running my CryBaby and moving my tone around. It was capable of handling more than I would expect it to do based on my playing.

It sounds better at higher volumes. It adds great punch to the mids. I think I have a great rig now.