new baker bass proto! whatchu think . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fdub, Jun 4, 2002.

1. fdub

fdub Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    san luis obispo ca
    The first attempt at making basses. . .

· 2 active Jazz pups, Vol, Pan, Bass, Treble
    · Neck thru Wenge center
    · Bubinga wings
    · Quilted Maple top with bent top arm contour and rear tummy contour
    · 34”, 24 fret, 12” radius, 6100 fretwire
    · Big ass Thunderbird type headstock, tuners - 2 on bass and 3 on treble (tone for days mass head)
    · The neck width is small and comfortable, similar to a T-Bird with narrow bridge spacing as well.

more pics here Baker Guitars Forum

2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    So ugly it looks good.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    looks like it was maybe inspired by a factor. sweet top. nice bass, does it sound?
  4. I'm not sure about the Thumb-wannabe aspect of it.

It seems that a lot of these boutique guitar makers couldn't make basses to save their lives.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

That headstock design is soo erily close to what I had planned for mine, that now Im gonna have to think of something else!

Only mine was gonna be a 3+1 and not soo close to the Gibson shape.

Oh well

6. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    me like!
  7. fdub

fdub Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    san luis obispo ca
    I played it for about an hour at the shop when it was completed. It was rushed off to Brian Wheate of Tesla (?!) but i got to get my rocks off. I liked the way it played, it felt real good in my Ernie Ball - accustomed hands, tho i would prefer wider string spacing. The sound was epic, played it through a mesa 800w head, 4x10 and 15 cabs, and it thumped!
    I thought it looked funny too, and i thought it would be too damn heavy, but upon wearing it and jamming, it felt right, balanced, and damn, if i didn't have a good time

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It looks nice and I give you great respect for making the effort,keep em coming
  9. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    i like the finish a lot...its sweet looking, but the shape of the bass is little odd for my tastes. its good to see something a little different tho! did you build that yourself? i can't tell because all you said was "The first attempt at making basses." peace!
  10. fdub

fdub Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    san luis obispo ca
    It was made here (where i work) at Baker Guitars, I actually had nothing to do with it but input. I'm the computer geek here, not a luthier. but when i'm not on the 'puter, i play as much bass as i possibly can, so i'm stoked that we're going to start making basses.

BTW, this isn't going to be the Baker bass, this was a custom proto to see if we could make a dope bass, and lo and behold, we can. the production models are going to be quite different. . .
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't really like the body shape...
    I mean, no lower horn....
    But except that it sure look nice.
    I would love to try one.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm sure it's made very well, if Baker's guitars are anything to go by, but I'm less than enthused about the looks. Nice wood and nice burst, but I don't care for the body shape or the headstock at all.