1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New band costs me $1,400. We haven't played a gig yet.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I just got into a new band. Top 40 covers/wedding/corporate. I've been a bassist for about 4 years (musician for 24 years). I'm moving up in the bass world, but still growing. Items I had or have to purchase for this band:

InEar Monitors: $600
    Wireless Monitor receiver/pack: $500 (used, MSRP $800)
    Wireless bass receiver/pack: $300 (Shure GLxD16. used, MSRP $400)

Fun to get new stuff, but ouch, my bank account. Especially because the monitor stuff isn't as fun as new pedals or basses.

I hope this band is all they say they are. They're expensive.

2. @Basstards
    Look at it this way the IEMs and wireless set may lighten the bank balance but lighten the load-in too.

3. I thougt this was going to be one of those, I ponied up $1,400 for my share of a demo that went nowhere, posts.
    At least you have physical stuff that you own and will be useful elsewhere, or can be sold.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I would have thought a band like that would have had the Tx/Rx stuff racked up already and you would just have had to buy the IEMs. What if you showed up with some cheap Galaxy level stuff that messed with the rest of their system?

dralionux likes this.
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I'm purchasing the Wireless Monitor Receiver/Pack from the last bass player. So there's a bit of faith there that my investment will turn to profit. I agree, if I didn't get the last bass player's equipment, I could have shown up with anything. Thankfully the last bass player is a good man and is giving me a price less than anything I see online.

6. From what I've heard wedding/corporate gigs pay well so it should not take long to cover the expense. If you have to pay tax on the income from the gig, can you write off the expense of anything you just bought? If so, get a receipt from the seller for the used stuff.

7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Lucky for me I currently make around $10,000 in taxable music income a year, most in 1099s. And of that's unfamiliar to anyone, that means the employer doesn't pay any taxes on your employment, and you pay it all, which is probably 40%. Sucks when you get $75/gig.

So I'll write this all off on my 2017 taxes. But that doesn't mean the government gives me $1,400 back. They just don't tax me on that amount. Which I guess still saves me around $600.

I have a CCard for just music purchases. I just hand the end of year statement to my tax guy and say, write all this off.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Be glad you don't have to supply the PA.

9. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Dang, $600 IEMs. I got $50 ones off of amazon...

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How many concrete gigs do these people have on the books?

gebass6 likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IME: when we're in this situation, we call it "an investment!"

hope your investment works out for you! :thumbsup:

hrodbert696 and Basstards like this.
  12. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    That's a good question. My first gig with them is Jan 13th. Website says 1 gig feb, 1 march, 3 April. Texts have been flying around about a wedding and another gig. They are a good sounding band with a female lead. So I think their marketability is high.

Sore Thumb, JeffC23, bdplaid and 2 others like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would ask them for a list of all gigs, so you can make sure your calendar is clear (and so you know). There should be a specific band calendar if the band is anywhere near that active.

petrus61, hrodbert696 and Basstards like this.
  14. dirkdabass

dirkdabass

Jun 21, 2010
    NJ
    It's a business investment: usable now, sellable in the future, 43% tax write off this year. Sounds ok to me. You can think about it as an admission fee to a bigger game.

basspraiser, Big Hoss and Basstards like this.
  15. Bands are money pits. HOWEVER it beats having a drug habit (just slightly)
    ;)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You HOPE they're all they say they are? You didn't investigate? Hmmm...

17. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I went to a gig of theirs. Was a good time. The audition was myself, the guitarist, and the drummer. The guitarist is sponsored by a guitar company. I forget which one, but he's got a ton of gear and nice downstairs studio setup in his home. That's all the research I did. I'm sure I could have done more. But the checks that make me interested and willing to roll the dice:

1. Good Female singer
    2. Competent Musicans
    3. Gigs in the books (even if they're aren't 40 this year)
    4. Willingness to want to expand the amount of gigs (They won't hold us to 1 gig/month, and they are actively promoting for more gigs)

kodiakblair, JimmyM and hrodbert696 like this.
  18. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    This is my mentality. I figure, I've already put around $6000 into bass gear, and may have only made $500 net profit from the bass gig's I've had, so what's another $1,400? (Aw, that figure is depressing)

Ender_rpm and Sore Thumb like this.
  19. Well, if you're freelance gigging in a relatively decently sized market it's handy to have IEMs. I only use mine once or twice a year typically, but they come in handy.

The gigs picking up in April shows a trend, at least. Are they telling you what kind of money you're looking at for these gigs?

el murdoque likes this.
  20. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Not sure about the bar gigs. The weddings should be around $500 each when we get them. Not sure if that's 1099 or under the table.

They have lights and a PA and all the flair, which means I'm sure they're invested. And it seem they're looking to play for more than less.