1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new band from the current band, what to do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaebee, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    ok, so I play in a mostly cover band right now where the guitarist is more than lack luster at soloing, but he is decent rhythm. the singer is ok at singing, and good at screaming. the drummer and myself are starting a metalcore band, on the side at first but the plan is to go full time once its up and running.

my question is, would it be bad form to invite the singer into the band and not the guitarist? they are cousins, but the guitarist just wouldnt have the chops for the music.

thanks

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    To me, that sounds like a round about way to fire the guitarist from the current gig you guys have going on. If I were him, I might be up on something going around my back...

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    That's kind of a punk move. In my last band, I played guitar, then my neighbor was the bassist, his buddy played lead guitar, my sister sang backup, and I found at drummer that I worked with.

Lead guitar quit, and within the week, the bassist and drummer bailed, too (the bassist was nice enough to quit using the public forum on our website). I was busy helping to organize a battle of the bands at the time (which actually turned into my current band), so I was upset, but had something else to distract myself with...

A few weeks later, a few days before the deadline to enter the competition, my bassist sends me a envelope through the mail (he lived across the alley). It was an entry form for his new band- him, his lead guitar buddy, and the drummer. This band was a lot more heavy than our original band was.

We let them enter, they sucked (and I mean REALLY sucked), and it was the best revenge I could hope for, especially since I started my own band with some people I met through the battle of the bands.

Anyway, it's probably not worth the hassle. 2 out of 4 isn't a bad thing, but 3 out of 4? The guitarist WILL take it personally.

4. pbagley

pbagley

Jun 2, 2008
    Ham Lake, MN
    I once played in a band where everyone but me worked for the same company. We had a lot of people, mostly vocals and guitars. Aparently there were no bassists at that company... The band was formed to play a company christmas party, then ended up staying together.

One night we had a rehearsal, and about an hour in one guy just announced that he was quitting. Then another. Then another, until I was the only one who hadn't quit.

Odd feeling, being the only one left in a band.

Next day I get an e-mail inviting me to join a new band with the lead and rhythm guitarists, drummer, and keyboard player. We had been the actual core of the other group, more backing some vanity performances for the others than anything.

Not sure how the others took it. We ended up playing other corporate events, but after the original company melted down. At the core was a good group of guys, and after the reformation I was much happier with the group.

In your case I'd talk to the lead guitarist. Find out what they want out of a band. Be honest about what you are thinking and where you want to go with a new group. Don't burn your bridges, you never know which band may have more bookings in the future. Good luck!