1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New band help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bc2112, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Me and a couple of my friends started a band; I am a ok bass player and I wanted to know how to write punk metal and thrash basslines. Thanks

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    One way to do it is to copy the style of the bass players of the bands you like to listen to.

Good luck with your band!:thumbsup:

IamGroot and fearceol like this.
  3. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Thanks so much. :bassist:

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1 to the above.

Welcome to TB. :)

Two more suggestions :

1. Learn some basic theory...especially chord tones.

2. If you are trying to put a bass line to some music, first try singing a potential line without the bass. Then play what you sang on your bass. This frees up the mind, and lets it work on one thing at a time.

5. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    You also might try working with your drummer's kick drum part.

6. Follow the chords and play notes of the active chord. Roots first, then add the five, that will probably do it for a year or so.....

Yes you gotta find the chords. I bet the guitar guy has them.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There are exceptions to everything, so it's tough to generalize. I'm sure if I post anything about "this is how punk bass works," a dozen outraged people will immediately post a string of examples that are nothing like what I was thinking of. But for some general starting points -

Pick playing is more common in punk and thrash metal than other genres.

A lot of punk playing, especially, relies on straight up eighth notes on the root of the chord. Neither genre tends to "swing" very much - the groove is more of a straight-ahead pounding on top of the beat.

Thrash metal (I'm listening to a video by David Ellefson on this) seems to use a lot more quick hammer-ons and pull-offs. It also will have more passages where the bass doubles the guitar.

Other than that, just to affirm what others have said - even if this is an original band, learn to cover songs by artists in the genre that inspire you. That's the quickest way to get a feel for how the genre is played, and will give you ideas for the kinds of lines and riffs to create yourself.

And, not clear how much you already know or don't, but learn your basic theory - keys, scales, chord structure. That's your guide to where to get your notes from.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Uh ... that's a quite a question. I'm not sure what "an OK bass player" knows and doesn't know, though. My advice? Listen to the bands you like, pay attention to the bass lines, and how it fits into the whole. Try to determine what is common between them, and then, what makes each unique. Try playing along with the recordings to get a feel for the rhythms and tempi. And if you haven't yet, learn your scales. Learn the fretboard. Learn a little theory, it doesn't have to be conservatory level, but you should understand the circle of fifths, basic chord structure, and such. Practice a little "ear training"; learn to hear and recognize intervals of the scale and such.

Writing music isn't formulaic, there's no blueprint or template, so you can't really just jump in and make it happen. You need to do the work to make it work.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sounds like a young start-up band, so I wouldn't count on it ... :D

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Certainly punk has a lot of pounding on the root note. Start from there, and figure you will be playing the roots when the chord changes. I am guessing the songs are in major key. Learn the major scale, and start figuring out the right runs and passing tone to go from chord to chord. That will get you started.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Play a groove. Expand on the groove. If there is already a guitar part, play to it until something sounds good. Then, throw it out and play to it until something sounds great! If there is not already a guitar part, make a bass jam for the guitarist to play to. It should be fun, and don't worry if it sounds weird or different; sometimes a new genre is begging to be born.

12. Bc2112

Bc2112

Nov 20, 2018
    Thanks you guys. I will take note. :bassist: