Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New band idea - Anybody doing all acoustic music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 11, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My drummer and singer are interested in starting a side project.

The singer is female, an alto with a breathy voice, kind of like Edie Brickel or the girl from Sixpence None the Richer. She also plays acoustic guitar.

My drummer has recently taken up djembe, and has gotten pretty good at it real quickly.

They are interested in playing coffee shops, and other places where they prefer bands that are acoustic or very quietly amplified.

They are also interested in busking. There are a couple of areas in town where we might do pretty well setting up on the sidewalk.

I have an Olympia ABG which is loud enough for accompanying them, as long as they are unamplified. For amplified gigs, I would probably use my Zon fretless, as the Olympia feeds back pretty badly when amplified.

Anybody else doing these types of gigs?

WRT busking - how do most municipalities deal with it, if there is no amplification involved?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think I did a thread with similar subject a while ago.. Didn't get much talk, if I recall correctly.

But anyways, I think there are more places that would welcome an acoustic setup than places that can handle a full amplified rockers. In my opinion, acoustic gigs take less space and are more laid back, so they are more owner-friendly.

I have thought on the amp thing, and probably would lug a tiny PA around, just to make it easier to hear in a coffee shop and make pub gigs possible, and then go all DI'd.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've backed a bunch of people up but i've always used an electric and a small amp (typically an swr electric blue head and a bag end 1x12). personally i think it's a blast. I'd love to be part of a regular act doing that sort of thing. i'm sure you'd get into tons of places that would never do the whole band thing.