1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Band Is Pushing My Technology Comfort Zone

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Just joined an established cover + originals band with a good following... good songs... lots of bookings... and decent players who are also easy to work with.

Nothing negative about the band per se but they have some technology expectations that are kind of challenging me. I've been playing 31 years during which time I have used wedge monitors about 95% of the time and a cord 100% of the time. This includes my main band of the last 5 1/2 years where everyone was wedges and cords.

This new band, though, rolls with everyone on IEMs and the guitars and bass on wireless systems. They're providing all the gear (except the earbuds which I bought), but for me it's just a whole different approach to the onstage thing then I'm used to. And frankly I'm a bit apprehensive about the first couple of live gigs which are going to be tricky enough getting used to new players and new material and then to have to figure all this tech stuff out too and hope it all works.

Oh well, gotta look at it positively as a growth opportunity I suppose. Would be interested in perspectives and advice from anyone who has been (or is) in a similar situation.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I can dig it... But given how hard it is to hear most wedge monitors (particularly if you have the typical sound-moron) I'd actually welcome a chance to use IEMs...

Wireless on my bass, however, I'm not so good with. I've never like those systems and I sure don't like the idea of someone telling me how to hook my bass up to my rig...

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Rehearsals with them in before you start gigging? For sure it'll take some getting use to.
    Just like all other aspects of your show, this should be rehearsed as well, IMO

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah... we're using the Line6 G30 wireless system which has gotten some good reviews on this board so I'm willing to give it a shot. Especially the first couple of gigs when we're going to be calibrating our P.A. to my bass and I'm definitely gonna want to be out front listening to the FOH during that process. But down the road if I don't like what it's doing to my sound or it's bankrupting me on batteries or whatever I'm gonna go back to the cord and they'll just have to deal with it.

5. Funny, I was at a live sound reinforcement seminar a few weeks ago and this topic came up. The guy said IEM's are the way of the future and had nothing but praise for them.

Then he told everyone that if they want to use them get one home and figure it out BEFORE you try it on stage. He said it is a great tool but very different than a wedge and you are going to want to spend some time with it before you use it.

He said as a soundman providing gear, you never hand one to someone who is not familliar with them.

That said, will they let you take it home to get used to or can you get some extra time in the practice room to play with it a bit?

The wireless instrument is a no brainer, I'm sure you'll have no trouble with that switch.

-eSmith.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I just found out the first gig I'm playing with this band is at a place that provides their own P.A. I played at that venue a couple years ago and they were using wedge monitors then. So if that's still the case, I may have dodged a bullet on the IEM thing for the first gig, anyway.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The Line 6 wireless system is nearly "dumb" proof. There is nothing complicated using that setup and I figured it out without even touching the manual. If you can figure out an IPOD, there should be no issue. Along with that, anything in the G series sounds AMAZING. You will not miss your cable after hearing this system. For me, it sounded as good, if not better than my Mogami instrument cables. Believe me, I went back and forth between the two and really tested it. Two AA batteries last just under 9 hours - every time.

IEM can make stage life easier for sure - you hear the same mix no matter where you stand and cut down TREMENDOUSLY on stage volume. The sound guy has more control and can make the band sound so much better. Definitely give it a chance and try not to fight it.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    One thing I definitely won't miss is humping heavy wedges. And the idea of not tripping / stepping on monitor cables or an instrument cord is appealing too.

9. gnjpowell

gnjpowell Inactive

Nov 12, 2010
    Concord, NH
    Bass & guitar tech, FOH sound, backline rentals
    IEMs are the way of the future. No doubt. That said I just bought a Eurosound F122A powered wedge for personal use on gigs... very nice unit! The Samson AirLine Synth Guitar - True Diversity UHF Wireless System is AWESOME! GREAT sound, very quiet, no annoying belt-pack or wires, transmitter runs 8 hours on 1 AA.

Samson Wireless - AirLine Synth Guitar

WAAAY better Vs the earlier Samson Airline 77 System that it replaced.

10. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I used traditional cords for 40 years until my new band required me to go wireless.

I purchased the G30 from Line 6. I will never go back to cords. The wireless signal is stronger & more dependable than any cord

11. JumpKing

JumpKing

Mar 4, 2007
    Yeah, it is kind of hard to leave your comfort zone. I'm doing the same thing not technology wise but making music in a different genre with different expectations.
    Sometimes it makes me insecure and it feels like a first date all over again. Also i found it hard to let loose of al my pre-conceptions about other music. But on the other hand; it is great to meet great musicians with a different view.
    The wirless and IEM would disturb me too, but man what a great learning experience!!

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah my first weekend gigging with this band comes up in a couple weeks and it should be interesting. First night is one of the biggest live music rooms in town, with house provided P.A. There's a promotional tie-in to a Dierks Bentley concert coming to town the week after so I'm expecting a big turnout. Second night is a private party (wedding) and we'll be using our own sound and lights for that one. I have no idea what kind of crowd that will turn out to be. I'll definitely file a report.

13. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Go to Wallgreens,spend the 7 bucks on 20 double As and you're set for a year.

BTW that's the beauty of the G30 it won't compromise your tone at all

14. Or get rechargeables.

Randy

15. Can someone explain to me what IEM stands for? Sounds like it's getting some praise here.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    IEM = In Ear Monitors. Basically sets of ear buds to which can be sent a suitable monitoring mix for each musician that has them.

17. Oh, OK. I've heard a lot about those. Lots of big acts (Iron Maiden, off the top of my head) have started using those. Do they monitor only your own instrument, or the whole band?

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    On a side note jaywa, it seems like leaving your old band and hooking up with this group has really paid off. They've got nice equipment and nice gigs, sounds like a winner.

19. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    IEM's definitely take some getting used to, but I actually greatly prefer them to wedges. Like others have said, you get the same mix no matter where you're at, and it can be at a volume that is good for YOU, not whatever works for the room, your bandmates, the sound guy, etc. Don't be afraid- embrace it!

20. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    You can get a complete monitor mix in IEMs.
    Vocals, your bass, guitar, hi hat, whatever- Same as you could put into a stage wedge.
    Kick drum isnt a good choice tho.
    :ninja:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021