New Band name..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drake, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Not that anyone really knows anything about us, but my old band Bushleague decided to change singers to remove the guy who wasn't working at his peak potential and replace him with someone who suited our style more. We got a guy who is clearer and higher. (Lost the dirge rock vibe and now have a more clear indie-ish vocal sound)

So we have renamed ourselves: Ursa

We were thinking of adding another word to it, but decided hey whatever, it is a decent name as it stands.

ps-I am not even sure why I am posting this.
  2. Well, neither or have any bands named Ursa, and has a couple of bands with Ursa in the name (Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Arcas to Ursa [?]), so you should probably be safe. Before you 100% decide on a name, you'll need to check the copyright office for trademark conflicts in your area, and you'll also want to check the availability of web domains. Even if that's out of your league right now, you definitely want to consider it for the future.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thats funny, my band just changed their name as well.

was: flat earth society
    now: in search of...
  4. i think both names sucked.... ah well ;)
  5. who cares if it sucks or not. it is just a name, we decided to stop worrying about what name we chose and just let our music represent us. Ursa is just something people can call us to know what they are talking about when describing our set of songs.
    If there is a copyright issue we will add another word to it. Maybe we will become Gentle Ursa or something like that.
  6. a name is rather important IMO.
  7. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    it should be Ursa Minor.... like the constillation...
  8. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    with spock on bass?
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
  10. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    we almost became "Amish Rake Fight"
  11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Well thank you so much. Now I have this driving desire to go buy a pair of Spock ears and wear 'em to practice on Saturday. :p

P.S. Nah... better not... they'd probably start calling me Mavespock and that's even worse than Maverick. :eek:

12. +1

if a name is just going to be used as a title for a set list, then whats the point?

a name should be meaningful and represent something with a purpose.

i'd hate to think my parents named me Bass Element to just label a lump of flesh and bones... ;)
  13. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Hmmm... It'll be hard to add another word to it and have it make sense without using major or minor (constellations) Best of luck!
  14. lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong
    ursa -ae f. [a she-bear].

ursus -i m. [a bear].

look up the latin, anyway just to point out if you are doing a website, and the word is widely used, you band may get lost in web. All about web marketing and stuff as well.

if she bear is what you want your band to be named go for it. :confused:

I guess it depends on what you are playing. you can certainly combine other latin words other then minor or major = lesser and greater.

vescus ursa = wasted she bear

good luck