Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Band....New Gig....Need Idea's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 12, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey everyone....I have spent the last two years playing in a hard rock cover band. We played Staind, AC/DC, SOAD, QOTSA, Incubus, and more. That successful band dissolved, and I have found myself in very unfamiliar territory.....a coffeehouse jazzy type band. We decided on a name, Triple Shot, and a logo. The band is set. We have a drummer, guitar player, and me. No vocals right now.

How many of you play a gig similiar to this? What songs do you play that work well with the coffeehouse crowd? The one we will be playing at has a pretty diverse crowd. Mid-teens all the way up to grandma's, and grandpa's. We want to play some smooth jazz, maybe some blues, and some pop songs that people will enjoy listening to. We have a few originals in the works, but want to supplement that with some covers for now.

-Mike

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Mike, our band does a very similar type of gig, along with the full band electric gigs. We do a lot of the same stuff, just slightly different to accomdate the acoustic end of it. What is cool about this kind of gig is, it is an entirely different crowd than the club scene, they are there to hear music, not get smashed and dance. Just about anything will go over well in this scene, as long as it is performed well. We do some classics such as Van Morrison, CSN&Y, a little contemporary country like Brooks and Dunn, to newer stuff like Tonic, Coldplay, Train, Black Crowes, etc. If you'd like more info, I could probably dig up a set list of ours, and I could send you an MP3 or so as well. Shoot me an email: Racer48m@aol.com

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks for the info Tim....I never really thought of toning down our current set-list....that is a great idea.......E-mail comin your way.

-Mike