New Band Recording... looking for advice and/or comments

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James Hart, Feb 22, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Everybody! I hooked up with a singer/songwriter/acoustic player and a lead guitarist last weekend.

I've written 2 bass lines this week to the 2 tunes we recorded rough live acoustic/vox tracks for (the lead player has an iBook hooked to a USB mixer).

Kin --by Wake 6.9MB

I'm sure the line will change once we find a drummer, but even though I'm not happy with the 'root on one'ness of it all... I think the line fits things.

Let me know what you think and any advice/recommendations.

The other tune is still a 1/2 written line/just noodling... but if you want to hear it it's linked on my band page in my sig.

TIA :bassist: :bag:

The voice and acoustic were recorded last Sunday @ the Guitarists house... and it was burned to an audio CD. I extracted a wave and imported to Cakewalk, compresses & EQed a hair, then recorded my line last night with my 51 into my Ashdown, line out of the amp into my Sound Blaster 16 ( :rolleyes: ) into Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 added a little compression... then mixed down right to MP3 within Cakewalk.
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Bass Sounds killer!!!!!!............. oh yea and your not bad :D

Sounds really good, can't wait to hear more stuff. The singer has a great Aaron Lewis(Staind)/Dave Matthews Voice...
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Bass sounds great! Nice and THICK! For only a rough mix it sounds rather well done... I miss having a singer with a strong voice that actually has some character. Heck, I miss having a singer period! I like the way the bass moves underneath everything without taking it all over. I can hear the drums in my head... Lots of snare rimshots/wood block. Cool song! ;) :D
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks guys! I think I'm playing a little busy, but I'm having trouble fitting something slow and deliberate without the drums. The singer spent the week recording a 3 song 'demo' (typical 'friend of a friend has a friend at Atlantic' crap... he knows it's bunk too, but what the hell between the lead and me we can mix a semi-pro quality demo), I hope to get the raw tracks at practice tomorrow so I can add my bass, program some drums and mix it myself.

Any other listeners???
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    *Steals you benavente and runs very fast, very far....*
    *wakes up* awww dang.

Sounds stellar man. I love it. That Chinese guy kicks butt as a singer. Bass sounds wonderful, good accompainment with the guitar. The drums, as I know, will turn out to be just as fitting and perfect. I'm keeping an eye on this band...

6. agmckee

Oct 3, 2003
    New York City
    hey james,

the track sounds cool! the line you’re playing is very appropriate.

here are a couple ideas you might consider:

don’t worry about playing too many roots / fifths. those notes are our ‘bread & butter'. if you think your line is getting boring vary the rhythm a little more, maybe play a bit more syncopated (james jamerson). always be sure to play the downbeats, ie. play on ‘one’. where the chords change i could not hear the bass note very well. could be the computer speakers i’m listening on or that you are not making those harmonic changes clear enough. whenever the chord changes a solid root tone is always a sure bet.

also, vary the intensity of what you play a little more. for the vocal sections you might play something very simple and then open up a bit for the instrumental interludes ie. play more complex rhythms, play non-chord tones, play some passing or chromatic tones moving to chord tones, play (dare i say) louder, etc.

also, while playing a ‘slow & deliberate’ line takes a lot of courage it’s often exactly the right thing to do so keep workin’ on it.

and always be sure that what you’re doin’ is fun!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002

First off thanks again for the comments... Right on Andy! I kept a lot of your words in mind tonight and I think I've improved the lines a bit!

We are giving the guitarist 2 more practices but have about written him off... The singer/acoustic guy asked me how I'd feel about stepping into the 'lead instrument' spot with the bass

I'da kissed the dude if'n it wouldn't have made for an odd/tense situation that woulda got me stomped on (He is an recent ex college football player).

So we're still hunting for the right drummer... but going to move ahead as a duo at the local open mic and coffee houses :bassist:

more clips coming in the days to come... an untitled very 'Seal' like ballad is up next.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    God that bass has some BOOTY, but it doesn't get muddy. :bassist: Now if it only had tubes.... ;D

And the hype is true about those benaventes, they really are great sounding basses!

...Oh, and I guess it's in the fingers as well. ;)

Now how about some clips with that Sunn Sceptre? :confused: :hyper: