Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Band....Rethinking Rig!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Apr 29, 2003.

1. I just secured a new gig, and the musicians in this band, from knowing of them before this group was brought into the mix...ARE AWESOME!So I'm thinking a more powerful setup...How's this rack...

6 Space Aluminum Rack from Rondo - 100
    Non rack tuner(40) Samson Airline Bass(300)(Both sitting on the Power conditioner)
    Power conditioner - 65
    Ampeg SVP-PRO(Used) - 375
    Alesis 3630 Compressor(New) - 60
    QSC RMX 1450 - 400(new, could be bought used)
    And for a cabinet, an SHS Audio Blue Diamond 4x10(excellent cabinet...)$325

Sub-Total 1665 + shipping, cords.....

Total - $1690

I can get this in about 5-6 months, but I'll buy it in peices...Cabinet, tuner, wireless, P.C., Pre, Power, Compressor.....I've got it figured out...Now someone's going to knock me off my high horse, right?

In BASS:bassist:

DWB

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well, not completely. IMO, that Alesis 3630 comp. is a cheap piece of crap. Pumping, breathing and any other undesirable compressor artifact you can think of, that thing has it! Everyone I know who has owned 'em hated them. There is no such thing as a good cheap comp. I suggest you do a search on compressors, as there is a lot of useful info here on them.

I'm not familiar with the cabinet you mentioned, but everything else sounds pretty good. And, Munjibunga has researched the wireless units pretty well, you should check some of his threads on them before you get the Samson.

:cool: :cool:

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've also been thinking about that Alesis.. good to know. :meh:

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, what he said about the Alesis 3630.............people in the pro sound/PA world have nicknamed it the "dirty-six-dirty" for it's poor sound quality.........you'd be better off passing on a compressor until you can afford a good one. Possibilities - DBX 160A, Rane DC-24, ART's tube compressors, JoeMeek MC2, and the PreSonus Blue Max all get good reviews and don't break the bank.

5. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    where's a webpage where i can see that 410 you're talkin about. I can't seem to find one

6. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    QSC RMX 1450 - 400(new, could be bought used)

I would re-think the RMX and go with a PLX series.

Lots lighter and better sounding. According to a Pro sound guy I was talking to over the weekend, the RMX is very sluggish and slow to respond on bass.

I have a PLX-1202 and LOVE it.

I also agree about cheap compressors. Better to not use one than to use a 3630 or a Behringer.

Good luck

:bassist:

7. That sound guy was high on crack.

Anyhow, I would skip the wireless altogether and spend that money in another arena - like the cab arena.

8. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Could be, but I doubt it.

I neglected to mention in my original reply that he was speaking in general about the RMX series but also in COMPARISON to the PLX series.

Anyway, my experience is limited to the PLX, so perhaps I should stick to that (which I did). The original poster asked for opinions. I gave mine.

I think it is fairly well known that there is a hierarchy in the QSC line and that the PLX is farther up that food chain than the RMX.

No slight on anyone else's choices was intended. I still recommend he consider the PLX.

9. K Dubbs:The SHS Audio websit doesn't show the Diamond series on there...The places I've seen them, my brother owns one, and I love it...And the catalogs that my drummer/dealer has....

Sanctum:The cab is fine...I've seen it take a beating from the power that was being put through it, and it didn't even phase it, it's a clear sounding cabinet, with an excellent tweeter sound that's not too harsh.I fixed it up with my settings, since my brother's, to me, usually sounds a bit dry and flat, I played with the EQ and got an awsome sound...It's a really versatile, and not overly rediculous priced cabinet....

I called my Drummer/Dealer, and talked to him...for about $200 I can get an Audio-Technica, a friend of mine uses this exact model, and it works perfectly, for over two years, and through outdoor festivals, bar shows, etc....It has excellent range and awesome clarity...I also got him to check on racks, to save me from shipping them from Rondo...and a different compressor, since he's a friend, and can get me something worth my money(this was even before I read this thread)

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Absolutely NO problem using an RMX series for bass. Doesn't sound like the 'Pro Sound' guy knew what the h##% he was talking about. IMHO, he read too many forums that were over his head and misinterpreted what they were saying. There are many SR folks that don't like the PLX for subs primarily because it uses a switching power supply(I have a PLX for my bass rig and love it-and I wouldn't hesitate using one for subs). The stated feeling is that a standard transformer power supply, either iron core or torroidal, has 'reserve' power. It's an object of rather heated debate on some of the SR boards. The RMX series has never, to my knowledge, been panned for lack of low end or "being slow" (lack of transient response). It IS about twice the weight of a PLX and, other than the 1850HD or 4050HD, they really don't like prolonged low frequency content at 4 ohms, bridged. I think it makes an excellent choice for a bass rig...without reservation.
    I chose the PLX for its lightness and lineage.

Kim

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    For 1700.00 I think you can get a better rig, you can get the Ampeg pre's used cheaper than 375.00!
    You have have time...just keep checking the sale adds in your area.....just my two pennies;)

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How 'bout this:

Eden WT-800 $900 used
    Eden D-410XLT $600 used
    Korg DTR-1 $150 used

$1650

Then you'd have a real rig.

13. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    yeah munji, that's a great setup for someone that wants to waste half of their wattage or more just to try to get some low end outa that cab. eden heads, yes. eden 10's, midrangers only.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd second Munji's suggestion of considering a quality head. The WT-800 is very nice, but I would also check out the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse line. An M-Pulse 600 would rock! I like both Eden and Boogie, but they certainly have their own character. Plus, either the WT-800 or the M-Pulse 600 would give you a great compressor built in.

On compressors, by all means avoid the Alesis. If you don't get a head with a built in compressor (or a preamp that has one, like the Eden Navigator - my personal fave for a preamp:D ), then I would also second the PreSonus Blue Max or check out a Really Nice Compressor (RNC) from FMR Audio.

On the PLX series power amps, one thing to keep in mind is their weight. These babies are light as all get out. I have had two Audio Centron power amps (I still have an RMA-1600), and they are much heavier than the PLX. The RMX is also heavier than the PLX series. I have a PLX 3002, which pairs up quite nicely with my Navigator.:bassist:

Happy hunting!

Tom.

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    $1700 will get you a lot better rig than you are considering now. You can get a GK 1001RB(the new 700 watt model) and an Avatar 4x10" for half the money NEW and have about as good a rig.:bassist:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That hasn't been my experience. I get plenty of bottom out of my 410. It's -6dB at 31 Hz. I can live with that.

17. Truly a non-Eden owner. My 4x10XLT puts out more low end then I've ever heard from any other 4x10. And others have told me the same.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Heck, look at the frequency range and response of the XST cabs! Two T-210XST's (with enough power behind them) would crank out gobs of low end (and they sound sweet on mids & highs, too).

Tom.