Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Band...WooooHoooo!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Feb 8, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well we just broke up our old band a few weeks ago. It just ran it's course. It was our first band any of us was ever in, first time I played bass for that matter...first time any of of really played instruments seriously. We were a four piece..with a converted kinda hack keyboard player turned drummer...a hack drummer turned bass player (me). A hack guitarist (my brother), and a lead singer/guitar player (think Axle Rose ego)

Ego...ruined the whole thing. There was member of the band that got selfish and very self centered and tried to control everything from sound to the music we played. Truth be told the guy was a major weak link when it came to performing. ANYWAY, the good thing is we actually became a decent band, decent on our instruments and had our moments where we jammed!

So before we did the band divorce my brother and drummer hooked up with a couple of older guys that are in thier late 40's early 50's. We are late 20's early 30's guys fyi. So they played a gig with these guys...my bro on bass and our drummer went back to keyboard. They played a cover gig consisting of Motown, Doors and very cool older tunes (THE STUFF WE LIKE). I was very impressed at thier gig, people were dancing the whole time and they had great energy and sounded very good!(The exact opposite with the old band..were the stage presence sucked, our singer had an ego and was stand offish on stage. Many folks did not like his singing and hated his "tude" on stage) Anyhoo since I knew the guys too the asked me to join as bass player, so my brother could go back to playing guitar and sing some more. So now we have a five piece..2 guitars, bass, keys-horns(whatever he wants to be) and a drummer. The very cool thing about it is the drummer is my old drum teacher from when I was a kid, and he actually use to gig with my dad when I was very young. They guy is a solid drummer, played with a few big acts.

Anyway we are all very excitied. Basically the guy with the ego in our old band didn't get invited. The rest of us hooked up with some very open minded easy going older guys....that can play! We are putting together a song list this W/E and plan on rehearsing in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait to play in a band with good guys and finally get to play some good bass lines. The Green Days and God Smacks can go away forever...Hello Jammerson, Donald Dunn, Jack Bruce and Entwhiste:hyper:

:bassist: Wish me luck!

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There isn't anything cooler than getting into a band that just "fits".

Congrats...and good luck!

3. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Good luck and have fun! Unless you're making tons of money it aint' worth it if you aint' having fun!! Maybe even if you are making lots of money.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thank you everyone.we are getting together this Saturday to put together a song list. We start practicing in about two weeks!

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just joined my new band about a month or so ago.

I've been playing professionally, or semi-pro for over twenty five years, but after my last band I was going to hang it up.

This new band is so much fun that it's just the best band I"ve been in since I was in my twenties and touring the country.

We're just a weekend cover band, but everyone is so nice, so easy to get along with...and we are all on the same page with music styles and band direction.

Makes me feel young again. Practice your ass off and enjoy!!! :D

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah I will have to bring it...the drummer/ex drum teacher won't let me be a slacker nor do I want to be!