1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hobb185, Oct 23, 2009.

1. hobb185

hobb185

Feb 16, 2008
    hey i recently started a new band with my best friend who is a damn good guitarist but all he wants to play is all these solo guitar pieces that Santana and Hendrix and if we jam out i play a bass line and he just starts to do what ever the **** he wants and if he stops to just go in some chord progressions i will every once in a while try to solo my self but whenever that happens he just turns up and solos over me (he has a huge amp i have a dinky one) it is really start to get annoying and am thinking of quiting the band and if i tell him how if feel (gui**** might be the right word not totally sure) i am afraid he might be truly offened that he would get offended. can someone please help me out

2. punch him in the face,
    seriously though guitarists like that don't really care for the band, they just want to look good. If you REALLY wanna play with him talk to him and explain that it's a BAND and the overall sound matters more than just 1 person, if you wanna quit tell him the truth and that you're not headed in the musical direction you want to go in.

3. Doesn't sound like a band.

It sounds like you're the accompaniment for the guitar player.

If I have any wisdom to share, it's that trying to change people leads to frustration and anger. If all he wants is someone to play backup to his guitar parts, and you want a band, you should consider looking for a new band.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    A band should be a partnership where everyone plays for the song, not just for themselves, like they do in their room. I guess your guitar player friend hasn't learned that.

If he really is your "best" friend, explain the deal with him. If he won't change, then not only can't you play in a band with him, I'd question my "friendship" because, IME, behavior like that is not confined to a band rehearsal. I suspect that he has some control issues and doesn't like to be confronted or challenged. How's it working in his non-band life?

You might want to check out the following TB threads that may help you on your bass playing journey:

If I only knew then...
    Best musical advice
    Every bassist should know
    Save your hearing