New Bart Sweeper Pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Anyone played these yet? I saw them at the NAMM show, but didn't get a chance to play. It's basic design is a single pup on a sweeper bar, kinda like a windsheild wiper, so you can sweep the pup along the harmonic points. Is this a cool thing, or just a crazy gimick that no one wants? Thoughts, comments, crazed ramblings, treatises?

Rock on
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is it essentially the same twist as sliding pickups which enable you to choose your sweet spots???
  3. I guess. It's just that instead of even movement you get a lot longer of a range on the E and A strings, due to the curve of the sweep.

Rock on
  4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    You are talking about the pickup in a Spalt vViper bass. I actually own one of these basses (although I'm selling it soon for financial reasons) and it's quite a cool concept. In fact, Michael Spalt actually displayed my bass in the Bartolini booth at NAMM so it my have been my bass you saw. To get a better understanding of this concept , check out the website Spalt vViper
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

6. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Do you have any pics of it? Im kind of interested in seeing what it looks like.

Ok I just added that and there were 3 responses I didnt see, very weird pickup Ive never seen one before.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

i played both the fretted and fretless vVipers at namm.

i'm a BIG BIG fan of Michael Spalt's work.

i even own one of his TOTEM Basses.