Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bartolini "Classic Bass" pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Aug 6, 2002.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hi. I entered bartolini site today and found these new pickups. Anyone know about them? How should they sound on J Bass compared do 9s or 9j models???

Below I quoted the site:

Classic Bass (CB) Pickups

"Classic Bass" CB series bass pickups are passive designs featuring an extended and more resonant frequency range. They have far more "air" and definition at the top without sacrificing lows and low mids. They are cast in epoxy to remove unwanted feedback and microphonics. They are available as dual coil humbuckers in the wider soapbar shapes and, as single coils or as in-line hum cancelling dual coils in the narrower shapes. CNC machined blades on all of the CB series bass pickups allow them to cover wide ranges of string widths on medium curvature fingerboards with excellent string balance.U.S List prices are shown on these pages until our new catalog is finished.

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Did they stop producing the Quad-Coil ??? The only 4 string J bass PUPS I've found in their pricelist PDF are:

9J -- Bright neck / Deep bridge
    9K -- brighter and hotter
    9SU -- deeper than 9J's
    9E -- active

The new models are:

9CBJS -- Single coils
    9CBJ --- Hum cancelling

I have a MIM JBass with the 9SU pickups I think, and a preamp made in Brazil that works fine, but during my last gig I had to play all time with the blend pot centered because of SO MUCH hum noise...:mad:

I love barts, so I'd like to try another model, maybe 9Js... I would like something QUIET and PUNCHIER than my 9S...

Please help me guys!!! :(

PS: I got a badass 2 bridge on my bass...

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I'd like to hear the new CB series, who knows if they're even available yet. They no longer have the quad coils in their lists, my fave is a 94J set. I've tried the 9J dual coils, but they are too low output and not even enough, they sounded scooped to me with more bass and treble than mids. They are wonderfully quiet, though.
    Brad

4. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thanks.
    I know 9Js have very low output, but i'm planning to use them with a 3 band active preamp anyway. The site's description of tone describes 9J's as emphasizing low-mids, a not-so-deep sound when compared to single coil 9S's, and I like that.

And 9J's come in two bridge-pickup wiring options. I think I'd prefer that with a "deep" bridge, it should maximize my growl, and I already have good highs with my badass2 and active preamp.

Yeah, I guess I already made up my mind for 9J's, but any other opinion would be apreciated. :D

And PLEASE:

If someone get a NEW BARTOLINI CLASSIC BASS PICKUP, please post here!!!

5. Guy Dude Bro

Guy Dude Bro Guest

Aug 31, 2002
    Duluth, GA
    I actually just got a pair of the CB single coil J's (they make dual coils too). Well they look cool, but unfortunately the rest of the bass isnt here yet...

6. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Wow, a reply more than one year and three months later!

Dude Bro, don't worry you don't have the bass yet. You have the most important part - the Bartolini's ;)

Please tell us about them as soon as you can.

Boogienight