Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass >$1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    alright, so im thinking of saving up and getting a new bass. I'll have $1,000-$1,200 to spend. I play everything from jazz to rock to RnB, slap, tap, pluck, strum, you name it. I want a bass that sounds clean and clear, and i think i want it to be passive. I kinda like the vintage vibe, but im not committed to anything-

How does anyone like the newer Fender MIA Jazzs? I was thinking i like ash bodies. I was also thinking of buying used to cut down the price/get a proven instrument. I also realize that this question must have been asked a million times.

So what should it be?

edited for typo.

2. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    hi...
    i was about to buy Fender American p bass natural color...but i bought StingRay Music Man .....i think you can buy one 1279 from musiciansfriend.com.
    but i bought it for 750 s&H included....so it's nice deal.....sTingRay won't disappoint you...

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Since you only have $1,000-$1,200 to spend, shouldn't you be looking at basses <= $1200 ?

4. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    yup, i knew that, typo. consider it changed

5. You have a lot of options in that price range. I have never spent more than $1200 and I have purchased a Zon, Pedulla and an Alembic and all are great choices. For even less you can get something like a MusicMan. It all matters what type of bass you want and whether you want a new one or a used model (obviously the ones I have purchased have all been used). I think a good choice is an Alembic Epic.

6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Cant go wrong with the Fender MIA deluxe series. Awesome basses. They have it all from slap to metal to jazz. I was going to buy an EB stingray, but they arnt very versatile. If u like that tone theyre great, if not ur outta luck.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    In that case, get a Fender.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You said passive. Most people are naming active basses.

The American Series Jazzes are good basses.

How many strings are you looking for?

9. MTD Beast. Passive Bartolinis. Wenge fingerboard.

New ones are available at r2musical.com

'Nuf said.

If you have to have a US made one, go for a Fender US Jazz or Carvin.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
    MTD has a new bass out - the Saratoga. Although the body is crafted in Korea (with a real 8mm maple top) all the parts are Hipshot and Bartolini (US) nd the bass is assembled in the US. I've seen them retail for under 1100. I heard Gail Ann Dorsey playing hers with Bowie and it sounded great. MTD's are also very playable basses. There are only 24 instruments produced per month. I know Adrian Garcia saw them at least years NAMM show and I've played the prototypes - killer.

Mike

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One more thing ...

If I cannot get my bass on the plane, I'll be playing a Saratoga at the Talkbass Bass Bash in Anaheim on Jan 17th. If your in Southern California you should come. Hey, even if your 2000 miles away you should come. If you've not read the announcement, here it is

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=8

Mike

13. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    bump