NEW BASS: $400-$500. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Keeper, Oct 15, 2000.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey, I'm looking for some opinions on the best bass I can buy for around $400 to $500. I want it to be a 4 string and have really good tonal range. I'm partial to Ibanez basses right now (either the SR800 or the EDC700) but the post I've read lately say that I can do better for the same price. So if anyone could give me their opinions and reasons for them it would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Oh, one other thing. What do you guys think of fretless vs. fretted? What's the main differences you notice? I've never played a fretless before and am wondering if it's something I should look into.
  2. I'm not sure of the exact price, but the fender MIM delux jazz bass, i hear is a exellent buy, and very versitile.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass is a great bass guitar in that price range. I think its the best bang for your buck too. Gets great slap tones, good for playing rock, funk, jazz. Very versitile bass. Much better than Ibanez
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha BB's are nice. Also, don't be afraid of
    5-string or 6-string basses. They aren't any harder to play than fours, and you might like the wider neck that fivers and sixers typically have. (there is a bit of a risk with sixers tho: girls might not recognise it as a bass! :D ) And if you have bit of luck, you can even find a used Warwick for 500.

Between fretted and fretless, I'd say go with fretted.
    You'll get on your feet faster.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Don't go for Ibanez if your in that price range, i would get a MIM Jazz Bass and upgrade the elctronics, bridge etc.. whatever you wanna do :) And it will be around $500 and I think it would be a much better deal then any Ibanez..

Good luck to you

DM :D
  6. IMO, the Godin SD is by far the best made instrument in that price range. It's made in Canada with final assembly in their New Hampshire shop. I strongly urge you to have a look at one. :)
  7. Listen dude only you will know when you find the right one, it's kinda like marriage only you will never have to worry about cheating on your bass after a gig.
    But anyway if I were you I would look at the "Spector" NS2000 Q4. Great tone and it's looks are dynamite.....

...."if you groove it, they will come...."
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I thought the MIM Precision was very nice for a $300 bass. Nice feel, great sound.
    You could also look for a Cort by Curbow. Some people have talked down about them, but I found them to be really thick sounding, and easy to play. They also look cool in my book.
    Some of the Epiphone reissues of Gibson are really pretty good. If the sound hits you, both the EB-1 solidbody and the Viola bass are nice pieces coming in under $400.
    Finally, that goofy-ass new Yamaha (can't remember the model) is the first Yamaha I've played that had some cajones. I was surprised to find that the pickups didn't sound dead.
    Actually, all of these come in lower than your price range, but I think they are worth looking at.
  9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I recently bought a bass and was looking in that price range. I first wanted to check out various Ibanez's (SR series 480, 485, 400, 405) but I found three others I liked much better.

I bought a MIM Jazz Deluxe V this past June for $500 and absolutely love it. I didn't intend to buy a 5 string, but this was only $30 or so more than the 4 so I said "Why not?".

A very close second was the ESP LTD B-204, which really surprised me. I really liked the way it played and sounded. In fact, I actually bought it first before I finally returned it for the Jazz Deluxe (I couldn't get the Jazz sound out of my mind). Still, I thought it was a great buy - a little under $500 with a hard case.

The P-bass Special was a very close third. I liked the P-J pickup combination and it played just like a Jazz (the P-Bass special has a Jazz neck), but I liked the wider tone variety from the 3 band EQ on the Jazz Deluxe. I think this was in the $450 range.

Another thing to consider is used basses, but I wanted to buy new and I would have been happy with any of these three. Obviously I had a tough deciding because I bought one and returned it to get one of the others. Have fun shopping.