Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass ($500-750)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rathervague, Oct 16, 2004.

1. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    So I'm deciding on a bass in the 500 to 700 dollar price range (I just got <b>800</b> and thought that this is something very worthwhile). I play different kinds of Rock and blues with some friends. Right now I have a GSR 200 by Ibanez but I'd really like something nicer.
    I've been looking at Fenders in that price range and also the Music Man SUB4 (though it's pretty ugly in my opinion, i have to admit).

What do you guys think about this? And also, do you think I should get active (Jazz Deluxe, Music man, DImension, Zone) or passive (Highway 1, Vintage 51 P bass)?

2. How about a G&L Tribute L2000 ? It has an active/passive option.

L2000 Tribute

3. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    That looks nice, have you played it? Does it seem like quality?

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    +1 on the G&L

5. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    You think this is the best bass I can get in my price range?

6. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    I definately think that the G&L Tribute basses are some good buy. I picked up one of the ash body bass, and just absolutely love it to death. The only think that I am having to get use to is the chunkier feeling neck.

7. G&L is quality ! I have a few of them, just got another on Ebay yesterday.

A few poeple here have Tributes and have nothing but good stuff to say about them. Looks like a few have found this post already ! You will not find a better bass for the price !

8. All the G&L's I've played were absolute sex.

Worth every penny.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I love Fender Zone basses but found that they just didn't cut through the mix all that well. They are well made though and it may be just me but my Peavey Millennium did a better job as did my Precision. I also like the Jazz Deluxe. The G&L, as mentioned by others, is another good choice. Best to play what you can at the store and then decide.

Dan

10. Yep, the Jazz Deluxe or G&L Tribute.

11. i played a Zone, they have CRAZY low action, and on top of that, NO BUZZING AT ALL!! But I don't think theyre even in the 500-700 dollar range.

12. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Oh my goodness, so I went to the Guitar Center yesterday and realized that I could spend much more than I origionaly envisioned. It came down to a choice between the Stingray and a Jazz American (fender). I got the Stingray but suddenly when I got home I felt post buyers remorse, I don't know whether I made the right choice. THANKfully, with guitar center, I have 30 days to trade it in if I want. What do you guys think? This is my only REAL bass, should I exchange it for something more versatile (fender)? What's the dif. between an American Jazz and an American deluxe jazz?

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    It's up to you man.. I'd wait a few days and check out how much you really like it before I'd make any decisions.

14. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Anyone have an answer to my deluxe/nondeluxe american question (differences)? Also, is the jazz as durable as the stingray? How about blues tones? I think I'll make another thread because this is off topic.