Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass: '79 Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 23, 2003.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just recently picked up this 1979 Fender Jazz bass. The bass has been refinished in Olympic White with matching headstock. The pickguard was pretty beat up, so I put a '62 reissue Tortoise shell guard on it. Looks great! I also installed a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. The original bridge pup needs rewinding. This bass sounds great! It is deep and warm sounding, with plenty of bite. Backing off the neck gives a wicked Jaco growl. The bass plays awesome too! Straight neck, with super low action and no buzz. I am happy:D

[​IMG]

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Nice bass Adrian! I love the look of late 70s J-basses. Looks really sweet!

What are the two dots on either side of the bridge?

-Aram

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Very nice bass, I love the block inlays! Man I wish I had a vintage Fender jazz...

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are 2 screws on either side of the bridge where the bridge pickup cover would go. I like playing over the bridge, so I removed the cover.

I love the block inlays too! :)

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    OF COURSE! that was a dumb question in retrospect. I'm surprised the screw holes are so low...

-AC

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats!!! Looks like a great bass. Hang on to that one as its value will continue to increase over the years. Most of the "vintage" basses of the '60s have been bought up, and now the basses of the '70s are becoming the "new vintage" collectibles.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Beautiful! Jazzes are awesome aren't they...