Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass - '86 Ibanez roadstar, 5 string fretless (pics).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 27, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all. I picked up an 86 ibanez roadstar today, used for £180(a good buy?).

It seems good so far, not used to the string amount/spafing or the lack of frets (although lined) yet though so sound clips may take some time!

Also, the headstock appears to have been repainted, by hand.. No idea why :/

Sorry the pics arent very good, I'll take more tomorow in natural light.

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    (2 of 5)

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    (3 of 5)

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    (4 of 5)

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    (5 of 5)
    -the headstock, the pic shows up some grubby prints but I've cleaned them off now. You can kinda make out the crappy paint job ie the 'wet paint print' right at the top-left.

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..bump..

:ninja:

7. [​IMG]

hmmmmm, a very cramped arrangement for the machineheads....

also the B and G strings are very close to the edge of the neck at the 24th fret..-what's the nut width?

I hate to say this, but added to all the repainting of the headstock (wasn't the Roadstar headstock more classical looking- this seems more like a Soundgear shape) I'm beginning to suspect it was originally a 4 string bass, and has been converted to 5 using a new bridge (Schaller 3D5?).

*EDIT*

-a review of an 86 Roadstar 5string- http://www.bgra.net/reviews/ibanez-rsii5-rvw.html

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think the same as MTR: the Ibanez Roadstar is similar looking to a Fender P-bass (I think Micky Quinn from Supergrass uses on). Your bass looks more like a Soundgear to me.

The space between the B and E strings looks tighter than between the other strings - could be a sign that the bass has been converted.

9. there is a Ibanez "Roadstar" which looks like Yoshi's bass- (a sort of predecessor to the Soundgear)- Paul Westwood plays one in his instructional video.

someone who knows more about the Ibanez range (there's the two kinds of Roadstar basses- very confusing) needs to clear this up.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Actually, I take it back. Turns out that the 'Roadstar' name has been applied to a couple of different-looking models over the years.

I was thinking of this model:

[​IMG]

But the picture below is ALSO a 'Roadstar'. The one on the left looks like your bass, Yoshi.

[​IMG]

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    That pic was actually the only info I could find online about a 5 string roadstar prior to buying it.

Notice how the 'ibanez' logo on the top of the head is missing off mine :/ I cant see it beeing a fake though as the truss rod panel, labelled 'roadstar' is there, the backplate is there and..well good old optimism!

Probably just a case of some clown chipped it and decided to paint it over.. I'll take it in to a local store tomorow, I've a few hours to kill between lectures anyway :D

Thanks for the input, if I get any leads I'll be sure to post.