Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass! (a few observations about it too)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 4, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yo, i got a juciy warwick thumb, the one i was talking about not so long back.

The only thing ive found wierd about it, is its tendancy to 'level out' rather than sitting at an angle, any hints on 'leveling it out' or is it just a cause of adapting to it, previously i had a super-light bass collection.

[​IMG]

(this pic came out 'left handed' for some reason:confused: )[​IMG]

2. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    did you buy that from newcastle? The Bass Place?

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    no, i got it pre-loved from a guy from wales. we met near wakefeild.

:)

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I am afraid you will have to deal with the neck dive.. wawick thumbs tend to do that

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - that's "neck dive" or badly-balanced and a known problem with Thumb basses - why I wouldnt buy one!

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    bummer, its got such a lovley tone and playablity (sat down) too.

Ill give it a month and see how it goes, hopefully ill adjust to it, if not, ebay may be its new home for a few days:(

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    ahhh, there is one in the bass place which looks identical, same strap and same condition.

The neck dive isnt as bad on my thumb, due to the extra batterys and phat pups.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    yoshi,

Try a 3 inch wide strap with fleece, wool, or cotton on the underside. I've used that formula for years. The width of the strap distributes the mass, the underside mateial graps onto your garment to reduce tendency to move.

Peace,

James

9. hey yoshi
    if you want to get rid of the neck-dive for good, I have another possibility.
    check this dude's homepage out and see what he did: http://bass6.com/My basses.html

now, maybe your just in shock because of that weird metal thing sticking out of the bass but you have to say for your self. " can I live with the neck-dive or is this thing going to drive me nuts"
    look at it this way.
    the tone is unbelivable, the neck is fast (well at least in my opinion) and the wood is beautifull.
    I'll bet you will change your mind when you play a live gig with that beauty and with the metal sticking out of your bass.

but then again, some of us live with it.:rolleyes:

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Cheers for the help, ill check out a new strap :)

I aggree about your view on the tone and neck, it is great!

Doesnt it seem bizzarr that a big company wouldnt even test/correct a problem such as neck dive in a $1800 instrument?!

The antenna thing doesnt look too bad, i was expecting it on the other end, and about a foot long! Are they available to buy, or hand made efforts? Pic:
    [​IMG]

ps, d'ya think he made that one himself, just with a saw?
    [​IMG]

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek::(:mad:

That poor T-40.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    its inherant in the body style. unless they used super low mass tuners (anti-gravity perhaps), and really light woods in the neck it's gonna happen.

4's aren't so bad though. try playing a thumb 6'er - then you can complain :p

13. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I think the neck dive is an over exagerated problem. I notice it a bit on mine, but not enough to bother me.

14. 1. Doesnt it seem bizzarr that a big company wouldnt even test/correct a problem such as neck dive in a $1800 instrument?!

2. Are they available to buy, or hand made efforts?

3. ps, d'ya think he made that one himself, just with a saw?

1. I thought about the first question too, but some bassplayers find it great that it hangs the way it does. Maybe Warwick was so happy about having made such a beautifull bass that they forgot to test it properly.

2. No I don't think that they are available to buy but ask at your local music-gear shop and ask them if they can fix it according to the picture or try asking a smith or something :confused:

3. Yea he probably did. It looks awfull but he's creative. It also seems that the man has the cash to demolish such a nice fender.

Good luck with the bass;)

15. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ditto Vegaas - I had one (Thumb 4 BO) and it wasn't a problem - perhaps it was the strap I used, similar to what was recommended above.

16. embellisher

That's not a Fender, it's a Peavey T-40.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I once considered sawing my T-40 in half . . .

just so I could carry it in two trips!!! :)

18. embellisher

I was just thinking that he may have done that to reduce the weight!

19. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    So that makes it a T-20!:D

20. i got a 5 sting thumb bolt on and it does have a neck dive. thats cuz the neck is so heavy compared to the body. just get used to it