Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Apr 29, 2005.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have been playing for several years. I currently am playing mostly contempory christian music. My current bass is a MIM J Bass with customshop 60's pups. I play thru a Fender bassman 200. I also play DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams strings. I have been thinking about buying another bass. However I am very pleased with my Fender. Perhaps I am just wanting something different. I probably still want to stay with 4 strings. I have been thinking about something with active PUPS or even a Music Man Copy. I dont want to put a lot in one right now. Perhaps under $500 if possible. I do want something at least better or as good as my Fender. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Steve

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It sounds like you really like your Jazz bass, IMO it's not going to be easy to find anything much better in the $500 range. Yes, you could get something different, but that is not always better. You might save-up a bit longer and consider an amplifier/cabinet upgrade, and you could alway get an active pre in you Jazz..

3. Maybe an Ibanez will suit your needs

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    kidding??

You could geta warmth body and a warmoth neck and you can transplant the parts of the MIM to the new body. or just buy the neck.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

+1

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There was post by Quadzilla in another thread about Musician's Friend having a Nathan East Yamaha BB blowout. 4 strings are $199 and 5'ers are $229.

I play a Yamha RBX765A and it's been a great bass fo me over the years