Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(New Bass Alert) HELL may have no Fury.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redheadedfury, Dec 31, 2002.

1. ...but I do. :D A brand new Peavey Fury IV, to be precise.

And it's seriously cool. Not for me, the four figure state-o-the-fart basses, oh no. I am but a humble basswench with little of the green crinkly stuff...but what I have is beeeeutiful in sound, quality, playability and looks. In a word... YUM!

Don't tell me about this being a "good entry level bass" - bah humbug! Talk to the amp, the head ain't listening... I've played plenty of "entry level basses", both good and bad and this is certainly - despite the price (got it for £265) - a definite intermediate hunk o' wood with a real pro sound. Nuff said. I am a Peavey convert. Hail Peavey.

Oh, he be luverly, he be....super slim fast neck, just right for peeps like me with short fingers who have to compensate with speed for reach. My hands are a positive blur on 12 bar blues now, lemme tell ya. Just pity the poor guitarist whom I force to keep up with me next time he annoys me. (insert evil grin here).

It has the zact same pickups that a Cirrus does!!! And you can tell.... even through my crapola Smeg-O-Amp, it sounds sweet. Through the shop's Big Boy....(sobs at the memory). One day...one day...

String through body, graphite nut, nice neat heel, active EVERYTHING (pups and EQ) and quilting to melt the heart of a china dog, it doesn't get much better - even if I DID have a grand to fork out on something else. (When I do, I'm spending it on an amp to let this sweetheart sing his little heart out!) I've played some decent stuff in music shops and this is a serious competitor. Well made, delightfully finished, attention to detail, lightweight - but with one drawback. It's obviously evil since it stole the voice of an angel.

Heh. :p

But seriously, I've known and heard of bassists with four figure instruments reduce them to the state of backups just so's they can gig with the New Improved Fury IV. I never really thought that a new bass could make me play better - but this one has. Probably because it's so completely EASY to play, I'm exerting less effort on fretting and can expend more on speed and accuracy.

And now, for all you fashion guru's out there, here's the important stuff... ;) Mine's trans. blue - but not the shade on Peavey's website. Theirs is more a "holiday brochure" blue, mine's more of a dark, Petrel/Jewel blue.

Here's a publicity shot I touched up earlier to give you an idea...

[​IMG]

That's (almost) the shade! (It's got more jewel blue in it really, but this is close.) Ain't my baby gorgeous?

Advice to anyone considering this bass and not keen on heaving whole wads of dosh out of their wallets for an extrordinarily excellent feeling/sounding/playing bass - DO IT!

Ahem.

May the Fury be With You.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a very nice bass. thanks for sharing. :D

3. everyone should buy one of these!
    i've got on in red and it's breath taking
    i put a set of dr lo-riders on it today and i consider it my main axe in front of my tobias

4. Ahh....Strings, right? I've been wondering about strings. The ones that came with it are sweet enough and do the job but I usually use D'Addario's or Rotosounds - and I'm too skint to buy any right now! Although, knowing me, I will want to change them at some point.

Any advice, experience etc as to strings used with da Furious One before I run out and buy the usual?

Thanks for all the admiring cooing sounds over the New Arrival - me and the axe thank you. Now all I need is a name. ;)

Cheers and happy 2003.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Peavey makes a great bass, no doubt about it. I was very impressed with my Cirrus and would add another in a heart beat.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of these basses @ Sam Ash & they are definitly better than the price tag suggests.

Congrats!!!!!