New Bass! American P-5 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Herzog, May 19, 2003.

1. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Just got this today, it's a 2000 model. It's friggin awesome.

2. mrsham

mrsham Guest

May 6, 2003
    I have to admit, its very nice.
    Keep jammin
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    HOT D@MN!

that is sweet!!!
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Congrats and the great lookin bass. Very cool
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    that bass, in 4 string version is on top of my wish list together with the Epi Jack casady.

great score man!
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Nice sounding, looking and playing bass ya have there. I hope it provides you as many years of tonal pleasure as my Jazz has done for me.
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I likey!!! I have not played a bad one of those yet,
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Kewl, I absolutely adore black/white/maple P-basses! Plus, the P5 is a nice instrument.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've been eyeballin those Precision V's too. Really been craving the Fender sound lately But I have no money. So I traded a guitar for a 4 string MIA Jazz. A P V is on my wish list though.

I realized it was rude of me to put a pic of my new bass in your thread so I removed it
  10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I usually don't like the plain white pickgaurds but I think finding a replacement for this one will be difficult. I don't think that Warmoth or carries this one.

To everyone else, thanks for your kind comments.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What were you thinking of instead of white? Black for the "stealth" look is always spiffy, but heck, I think white or black pearloid/moto would be cool too.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Go to that's where I got the replacement for my MIA P-Bass.
  13. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I'm thinking white pearliod, but black pearliod would be cool too.
  14. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I already looked there, they don't have a 5-string P bass replacement pickguard listed in their standard templates.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congratulations! I think this bass is one of Fender's best kept secrets. I've played them a few times at GC (every time I see one), and I'd say it's as good as the Roscoe Beck V. The P has more conventional active controls, so it's got a different tonal range, but it's a fantastic-sounding, versatile bass.

Yes sir, I like it.
  16. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    That's why I bought it. I was looking for a new active 5 and played several at a local store last week. Of all of them I tried I like the P-5 the best. I then went looking for a used one and found this on e-bay:

Turned out to be a local sale for me with the seller living only about 20 miles away. Considering the bass was low milage (no scratches, no fret wear, still has the original OEM battery) and with the stands, case, levy's strap, and cord he threw in with the deal, I think I paid a fair price of $750 for it.
  17. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    How is the B sting on those basses???
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I keep hearing "average" in that it's not a bad B string, but nothing to write home about. Middle of the road and whatnot.
  19. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I concur, at least with the strings I have on it now. With some stiffer strings it may be a lot better.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is that the 9v or 18v setup?