Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Amp! Please help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loudmouth, May 18, 2001.

1. loudmouth

loudmouth

Mar 22, 2001
    OK here's the deal- i have been playing for about 3 months now and i currently have a Crate bx115 and it isn't loud enough for anything besides practicing. I have looked into Carvin, Peavey,Swr,Ampeg,Gallien-Krueger,Hartke. My budget is up to 500$ and so far i have been thinking about these amps-Carvin Pro Bass 200, Peavey tnt115,Hartke Kickback15 , and the Ampeg ba115.
    So if anyone has any ideas to what would be a great amp for a punk alternative and rock bass player put in a reply. And it would be good if it coould handle up to a med. sized gig and please no used stuff.
    thanx

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you're really missing out by eliminating used gear.

A used amp is going to get you a lot more power/volume for your dollar.

I really don't think that any of the amps you've listed are going to be that much louder than your Crate.

If you have to buy new, I'd try to sell the Crate and combine that money with your $500, and try to get something like the Peavey Combo 115 (210watts/300watts w/external 4ohm cab.).

http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/combo115.html

Good Luck...

3. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree with slater, you could probably get a better deal if you were to buy used gear. I bought a combo115 by peavey for $585 new and its great. I would definitely reccomned checking that out or looking around for some used gear. Ebay is a great place to buy gear so you may want to look around on there as well.

4. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i think for 500.00 youll be able to find a nice rig used..i got a gk400rb and ampeg 4x10 for the same price...