Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass and review!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    A few days ago, I recieved a box in the mail. It was from our dear Pacman. It was his 1999 Fender MIA jazz with J retro :-D. I traded my Conklin GT7 for it. All I saw was the pictures, and he told me it had some big dings on it, but it was a real players bass. I never saw the thing in person, so I was skeptikal. I open up the case. First, I'm in awe bye the teal sparkle finish! It was beautiful. The next thing to do was let it warm up, then go ding hunting. The biggest ding was on the underside of the body, but it wasnt' bad at all. Especially since this thing was gigged hundreds of times in the past 6 or so years. There are a few dings here and there on the headstock, but oh well. The real test would come the next day, when I got to use this beast with my rig at school (I leave it there).

The J retro is the most powerful and versitile preamp I have ever used.... Ever. Also, when I plugged this in, I realized it was a slap monster. The tone can only be described as a conbination between Wooten and Miller. This thing is a BEAST. It has massive low end! It also cuts through pretty well, but my thumb cuts through better, becasue it has a thicker mid range. But where my thumb excelled in the mid range, it lacked in the major low end. The jazz though, has so much low end, you could kill an elephant.

This thing is a REAL players bass. The action is low, and it's as easy to play as... BASS! (just kidding ;)). I'll get pics and stuff up.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love the sound of the Fender Marcus Millers, and I've heard several people recently say that the J Retro's sound even better. I'm dying to hear one. Anyone have any clips of a J Retro floating around?

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I too just got a J-retro Jazz delivered over the weekend and I can attest to how killer that preamp is. I've always preferred Precisions because I like a thicker tone, but this bass may have converted me. The low-end is truly unreal. I left the controls flat with the neck pickup soloed, and bass boosted about 1/3 and was in dub heaven. But the mids may be the coolest feature. My first impression is that it seems most useful for approximating a passive jazz or dialing in extra growl. Just great!