New bass..and weird feedback sound! help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I have new vintage bass, navy blue, 24 fret, active pickups(weird pickups, weird as hell, changes sound and stuff dont get em)

yeah and there are 4 knobs on the bass..and when i turn 1 up or downand the second one, they make a very disturbing squeeking noise, like some ringing feedback..could you tell me why this happens, and what could prevent it?

2. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    and still none of you know...
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Why don't you try telling us make/model of the bass, pics, any technical details? 'weird pickups' doesn't sound like a very technical description :)
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The mouse that pedals the little bike running your wierdly active pickups is hungry. He likes EZcheese, you can squirt it in the input jack if you don't have time to take the back plate off.

Since it is a new bass, bring it to the store and ask them to deal with the mouse.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    a "NEW VINTAGE" bass? hmmm... just doesn't make sense :p
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that would be the "feedback" knob. you may want to roll that one all the way off. :rolleyes:
  7. as in Vintage, the brand? ;)
  8. sounds like yer driving the preamp into oscillation.. have you tried fresh batteries?? preamp circuits act wacky when they arent getting enuff voltage!
  9. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001

If its a Vintage V900EB or V905 then i have had the exact same problem with my old one...... they sent it back and i got a new one. All i found out was it was a problem with the pre-amp (nasty cheap thing)
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah thats it! thats the exact same as mine..except mine is 4 string, yeah vintage the make...and there is no problem at all?

nothing i can do about it?
  11. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Uh, that and the picture indicates your bass has four control knobs:

- Volume
    - Balance (between pickups)
    - Bass
    - Treble

Active EQ means the tone controls are battery powered and that they can usually both boost and cut the bass and treble content of your tone.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    and the feedback squeeking is a sign of low battery power?
  14. I say you do the same as Chris, and take it back to the shop with your reciept..
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What are you doing here?!

He made no mentiones of Eden or 15" speakers!

:p ;)

17. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002

yeah i might do that if it starts to piss me off.