Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass: Any Recomendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jun 1, 2002.

1. For a while now i've noticed that my bass isn't working out very well, its alright for jazz, but I feel like I'm getting better than it. I'm not sure how to put this but it doesn't feel like it can do what I can. I'm looking for a nice, mid-range bass, something that would be around $400-$800 dollars maybe? All the basses i'm familiar with are the real high-end ones like the Elricks and Rickenbackers etc. So does anyone have a bass that they think would be suitable? Something great for Jazz and Classic Rock but that would work for some Hard Rock and Funk.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Two choices spring to mind:
    MTD Kingston
    Lakland Skyline Series.

Both are KILLER basses, for not a lot of dough (450 and 800ish, respectively). The Kingston, of which I own) are basses that blow a lot of people away...definitely a Mike Tobias product, believe you me. The B string on the 5ers kills a lot of 1500+ instruments I've played, and even passive, it's a massive bass.
    The Skylines aren't a slouch by any means. They too are impressive. A little more expensive, with a slightyle weaker B string, but Active electronics out the door.

Also, a used Peavey Cirrus is within that range, and those are NOTHING to sneeze at, at all. Great basses.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if it's Pre-Gibson, it was made by the man himself...I can't tell though...It's it just a regular Toby, then it's OK, it's a mass produced bass of decent quality but nothing that can't be gotten better elsewhere. Just another production bass, not one of Mikes works of wonder...

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's a Gibson era Tobias. Could be great, could be pretty poor. Looks nice enough, but I would definitely have to play it in person to make a decision.

5. if i was you i'd get the fender geddy lee. i love that guitar