1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW BASS Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Apr 11, 2006.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I'm looking to get a ne bass but there are some things that this bass must have. First of all it has to be 35" scale, 5 string, active eq. I have an Ibanez soundgear 5 string and it's cool but the neck is way to small and the string spacing to narow so I'd like the new bass to have wider neck and wider string spacing. I would also like to get this bass in a natural finish. The price range is no more than $800.00. Please give any sugestions. Oh yea the bass also needs to be able to get a pretty low action. Thanks in advance:)

2. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I would definately check out a Lakland 55-01. Spectacular instruments! Meets all the above requirements.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yep!

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    pffft. Lakland.

Try a used Valenti!

here

Not my auction, but a SWEET deal. I paid 750 basically new for a Valenti-sub he made with parts he usually doesn't use (dinky p body, warmoth headstock, sexy blueburst).

Never been happier. It is 34" scale, but I can't beat the deal.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Another vote for a 55-01

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Lakland for a 35" and all that.
    34" for a Musicman Stingray 5 is price is an issue?

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Agreed! I have a 55-01, and it plays/looks/sounds far better than it's price (usually around 700) would suggest. I got the action on mine so low that I actually had to start playing lighter. "like butter!"

Look around, you can often find used ones for under 6 bills. I got mine of TB in just such a situation.

8. Another Vote for Lakland 55-01 :D

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I hear you guys on the Lakland suggestion. However, you may also consider a Ibanez BTB axe; preferable a higher end 1205 or Prestige Japanese model. It would have to be used to come in at under $800. There is the BTB 455QMTK, which is under $700, but I believe the Lakland beats that one out. Then again, they're now equipped with Barts and that quilt top does look pretty snazzy. Hmm...hell I might have to check that one out myself!. Anywho, food for thought.

r

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland gets my vote as well.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ok, the above people are all wrong. Sorry, but they are.

Used Peavey Cirrus!

My Cirrus 6 just arrived today and it's an absolute dream come true, the low B is excellent and the neck is thin and fast. I'll be posting pics and a review after I have a chance to gig it.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes! How could I forget; the domestic Cirrus. Wide board, 35" scale, kick-butt electronics... But...um...new and under $800? Good luck, pal! This is a good choice if XtromatriX is willing to buy used, otherwise its still looking like the way to go is a Lakland Skyline or Ibanez BTB IMHO.

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Very true indeed, but used I think there's nothing that can stop it. Mine was used but you'd hardly know it :D.

14. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks for your suggestions... I've heard so much about Lakland and how well made they are, I think I'd like to look into the Lakland 55-01 as well as the Ibanez 555 BTB wich I really like the looks of. Has anyone played the BTB 555 or know anything about it? Thanks!

15. I'd choose the 55-01 as well...

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    BTB alert. If yr still into this Ibanez big boy, check out Musician's Friend. They're clearing out their BTB 5s for $399! Keep in mind, this isn't one of the new ones with the Bartolini's, this is the older one with Ibanez pickups. No, its not a Lakland, but for $399 its a pretty damn good axe. Its got yr long scale and wide fretboard (this ain't no frigg'n Ibanez SR Series!), it has active pickups, and its a 5 string. It seems to be everything you were looking for and its well under $800. I strongly suggest going to a local shop and at least trying it out.

r
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=519445